• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

833 trans throwout bearing

fishpwr

Reaction score
Is this how the throwout bearing clips onto the clutch fork? My Cuda was disassembled when I got it, so I don't have anything to reference. Also, I need to put the 383 motor in the car: I have the fan off and the radiator removed, so I should have enough room to lower the engine in place with the bellhousing attached? I'll be using a cherry picker, I'm hoping to install the engine with the bellhousing attached, unless someone says it's a bad idea. I'm used to automatic trans, this is my first manual, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

bearing2.png

bearing.png

Daves69

Reaction score
IMO, the release bearing looks correct. FWIW, your bottom picture is approximately where it would release the disc. The bearing is pretty easy to knock off the fork while installing a trans. Make sure you check that.

Has this bell been on this engine previously? If not, you might want to indicate it to know where the alignment is.

Easier to install without the bell. A deep oil pan with the bell on can possibly hang up on the K member and firewall. At least I've found that on my '69. Lifting the rear of the car can help. I'm able to install the engine / trans assy. in mine doing this. Header install complicates everything.

Many prefer to install the whole works from the bottom like the factory did.

fishpwr

Reaction score
This is the original motor, trans, and bellhousing. Sounds like I better put the engine in 1st, so that's the plan. Thanks for the input! Wish I was able to assemble it all and lower the car down on it.

fishpwr

Reaction score
That's possible... or I also thought about lowering the engine to the K-member, bolt it to the engine mounts, and leaving the cherry picker connected. Then detaching the K-member/front suspension from the car and raising the car high enough to attach the trans, then lowering the car back down...

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I always do it from the bottom , the whole engine can be complete with wiring carb fan etc , mount everything onto the K frame , lift the nose of the car roll everything under & bolt it up , far faster & easier .

Back