• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

904 rebuild were to get kit?

74 challenger

Reaction score
So Im rebuilding my 904. Going with transgo tf2, does anyone have this in their car and are you happy with it or is it to harsh going through the gears.? Second were did you get your rebuild kit? Summit,Cope racing and smr transmission has kits. Plenty of kits out there just seeing what you bought and if you were happy with it. People want stupid money for kits and I know there are kits half the price just as good. Any help would be great. Thanks guys and gals Dave

moparleo

Reaction score
Half the cost and just as good is not always possible. Here are the options that affect price (1) cost of parts- cheap or high quality (2) cost of labor Skilled or unskilled (3)You can't get both. So take your pick, If you are doing the work, you can spend more on quality parts. Remember " Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten" How much are you comfortable spending ? And hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving.
Have you thought about the pre-assemble assemblies ? They are ready to drop in. SMR http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id49.html has them, as do others. 727's are also available for about the same cost and are stronger.

Last edited:

74 challenger

Reaction score
Hey Leo thanks going with Mancini Racing on the rebuild kit. I have a friend who has been rebuilding mopar stuff for years. Keeping the car all original thats why Im not going with the 727. Any comments on a torque converter?

moparleo

Reaction score
If your friend is an experienced trans rebuilder, he should know what your engine combination and gear ratio are to recommend the best convertor for you. Don't go over 2500 RPM though. Not fun for a street car. Also use a trans fluid cooler besides the radiator. Number one cause of death on any automotive component is excessive heat.

transman

Reaction score
Hey Leo thanks going with Mancini Racing on the rebuild kit. I have a friend who has been rebuilding mopar stuff for years. Keeping the car all original thats why Im not going with the 727. Any comments on a torque converter?

A stall converter will depend on what has been done to your engine. Any quality performance converter rebuilder will ask you a lot of questions about YOUR setup, and if he doesn't avoid him. I disagree with Leo about a transmission builder knowing about converter replacement other than stock. My experience in the field showed that darn few knew anything about performance converters and if they were into performance transmissions and the like, they typically called the company I worked for to get the correct converter for their customer.

Back