• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A/C Compressor's o-ring

7071 challenger

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am almost done with my A/C. The car I am working on is a 1971 Challenger with a 383. The one more thing I need is a simple o-ring on the discharge line. It is the o-ring that seals the line to the front port of the compressor, (discharge). It is appenrently a special o-ring and I did not find anything that matches the original. Is there anybody out there that knows where I can find it, or what is the Chrysler part no. for it? I know that I will not find from Chrysler, but if at least I have the part no. , I will have a starting point.

Thanks!

Robert

moparleo

Reaction score
Have you converted to R134A ? If so, all seals and lines will need to be replaced with special shielded hoses and O-rings that will seal the R134A refrigerant from leaking. Also the compressor oil must be removed and replaced with PAG 100 oil. Needless to say, there is no current part#s on obsolete R-12 systems.

74 challenger

Reaction score
You need to use the green o-rings and remember if you convert to r134r you use less amount then what you would with the r-12.I believe you would do 80%, If you put to much your ac will not work.

7071 challenger

Reaction score
Check with any a/c parts distributors in your area. They can give you more specific information.
Thanks guys... First, I am Canadian, so, it's harder to get parts here than it is in the USA. I worked in transport refrigeration, (A company called "Thermo King"), so, I think I know how to handle the A/C stuff. That being said, Thermo King does refrigeration units for transport, so, they don't have anything for cars. I did check a couple of O-rings we have, but, no luck. I checked a local a/c shop, again, no luck. It seems it is a special size O-ring unique to Chrysler. Today, I stoped by another A/C shop and they had an O-ring pack that says "Chrysler expension valve block", and the size of the O-ring was the same, (in diameter), than mine. But it looked thick. For $2.27, I bought it anyway and when I got home, I checked it, and shure enough, it is too thick. I won'tbe able to sit the flange of the hose completely. The search goes on...
Robert

Back