• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A833 and Gear Vendor

gilbiy1977

Reaction score
I have spent a lot of time searching this forum about the Gear Vendor setup and found a lot of great information and success stories when installing on a 727 but almost nothing on the A833. I would like to hear how you fellow 3 peddlers like your Gear Vendor and if you have any regrets or recommendations.
My setup is a 1970 Cuda 4 speed with a 383 stroked to 496 running a sure grip with 3.55 gear. When its not breaking traction it tachs 2,900 at 60mph. I'm hoping the Gear Vendor will let me run 75 at that rpm.

Buy Now - Gearvendors
Modify message

Gear Vendor.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have done this for customers with great feedback , I have not Driven them much as they were customer cars , it gives the abilty to shift in any gear electrically without actually changing gear , basically creating an 8 speed !
I have done numerous swaps using the A833OD also , I love it but some dislike the rpm change between gears with the 833 OD , 4 of my personal cars I swapped to the 833 OD as a cheaper option .

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Chrysler had A833OD trans available in trucks from the mid 70s into the late 80s it is almost a direct bolt in , the front brg retainers needs to be milled down to 4.80 " & the rear shifter mount holes need to be drilled & tapped & you need E body shift rods & shift mount pad , the 3-4 rod needs to be bent to clear the crossmember with the shift lever inverted . They used 3rd gear as the OD ratio . In the car the shift pattern is normal but in the trans you shift 1-2-4-3 .
Passon Also sells a 833 based OD version with different ratios but it s 3500-$4000 range , the factory ones are $500 range .

Back