• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

About the misalignment of quarter panel mounting.

RYO5566

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm currently repairing the rear of the vehicle, but I'm having a hard time because the shape of the quarter panel doesn't fit.
As shown in the photo, there is a gap with the door panel and a gap with the rear glass.
The part where the yellow masking tape is visible is out of alignment. My own idea is to make a notch in the red line as shown in the picture, bend it to the same angle as the curve of the door panel, and weld it. What about him?

The product is AMD 700-2570L
All parts including the quarter panel are made by AMD.

Please give us your advice!

20210614_093547.jpg

20210611_131314.jpg

20210611_130306.jpg

Photo Marker_20210616_073855.jpg

budascuda

Reaction score
Before modifying things, let's first find out what needs modifying, grasshopper🤔
In the second photo down, is there a major damage to the door near the door handle? Could the cause of that damage also be responsible for pushing/deforming other body component?
Need to get measurements!

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
I would not cut & weld just yet. I think the flange in the door jamb area (below your red lines, exactly where the yellow tape disappears) needs to be trimmed a bit; it looks like it’s hitting the jamb and might be keeping the upper area from laying down.

I agree the door looks like it has damage, and you don’t want to modify the quarter to match a damaged door.... Maybe a new door skin is needed. Does the back window area lay down if you clamp it? Have you tried it with the roof skin in place?

More pictures please😀

Last edited:

70chall440

Reaction score
Just an FYI, its seldom that these panels just "drop in place", these cars generally lived a hard life and as a result can be a little out of spec not to mention that the panels are all made off one die which was made off one example, so things don't usually line up. In my experience panels typically need to be coaxed into place but everything else needs to be as good as it can be within reason.

RYO5566

Reaction score
Before modifying things, let's first find out what needs modifying, grasshopper🤔
In the second photo down, is there a major damage to the door near the door handle? Could the cause of that damage also be responsible for pushing/deforming other body component?
Need to get measurements!

Thanks for the advice! The door handle was undamaged and I aligned the door before removing it.

RYO5566

Reaction score
I would not cut & weld just yet. I think the flange in the door jamb area (below your red lines, exactly where the yellow tape disappears) needs to be trimmed a bit; it looks like it’s hitting the jamb and might be keeping the upper area from laying down.

I agree the door looks like it has damage, and you don’t want to modify the quarter to match a damaged door.... Maybe a new door skin is needed. Does the back window area lay down if you clamp it? Have you tried it with the roof skin in place?

More pictures please😀

Thank you for your polite response! Yes, I can fix it because I have not welded yet. Because the angle at the top of the quarter panel has also changed, the trimming seems to be trimmed ... Before removing the quarter panel, it also confirmed the connection with the door and the trunk panel before removing it. Also, there was no damage. The roof panel is not yet formal.

Attachments

• DSC_0671.jpg
    DSC_0671.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
  • 20210607_132654.jpg
    20210607_132654.jpg
    931.6 KB · Views: 192

RYO5566

Reaction score
Just an FYI, its seldom that these panels just "drop in place", these cars generally lived a hard life and as a result can be a little out of spec not to mention that the panels are all made off one die which was made off one example, so things don't usually line up. In my experience panels typically need to be coaxed into place but everything else needs to be as good as it can be within reason.

Thank you for your polite answer! The sizes of the other parts were suitable, so I was hoping to correct the parts in this photo. We will fix it so that it fits while considering the balance with other parts!

RYO5566

Reaction score

More pictures please😀

More pictures please😀
I made a mistake in the evaluation. It is a good mark evaluation!

budascuda

Reaction score
The "good mark" comment was very clever, even shap! as one might say👌

Last edited:

AUSTA

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the weld area where the quarter panel touches the roof panel or the roof support

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Help me understand.Why did you remove what looks like a good panel,Rust or damage? Is it whole or in pieces,mangled? can you put it back in place whole or in pieces. and scribe or take measurements,where it contacts the body.cross measure to inside. can you lay the new panel over old for comparison? Is it a good replacement?

robert power

Reaction score
I think you took too much sheet metal off the car at one time.If you had a frame jig like grave yard cars you can do that but not with just jack stands and hydraulic jacks.hopefully you can get the panels aligned ,good luck.

rklein71

Reaction score
Wow, my AMD quarters for my 71 BHG fit very nicely. It is hard to tell in the photos exactly what is the issue, but I am sure you have analyzed what needs to be done to make them fit good. Good luck to you.
Rod

Attachments

• IMG_3512.JPG
    IMG_3512.JPG
    733.2 KB · Views: 137
Back