• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

ac leaking water

Cratos

Reaction score
water leaking out of heater box when AC on( cold water) the drain tube is not blocked any way to seal it without pulling the dang box??

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
I presume it is leaking onto the passenger floor. Three things could cause this, clogged drain tube (which you say is not it), cracked heat/AC box, or seal against the firewall is not good. Identify the location of the leak on/around the box. You may be able to remove the retaining bolts and pull the box away from the firewall a half inch or so and apply some form of sealing tape between the box and firewall and then bolt it back into place. I know you don't want to open the AC lines, but I would and remove the box for a full inspection. Have a shop discharge the AC, pull the box yourself, repair and then have the shop recharge the AC. I guarantee you will find a bunch of crap in the box that you should clean out, if it hasn't been removed in years.

Cratos

Reaction score
I rebuilt the box before putting the car together (but cant remember if there was a seal where the case mates in the kit with all the door seals) 2 years ago and used boom mat under the carpet pad up the firewall to the cowl. with the custom console and all the wiring in to I would rather not have to pull the darn box. if I can avoid it.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
can the box be split without removing it ??
I just installed my ac air box in the car. No dash installed yet. If you were able to get the clips (or screws) off af the bottom half, there is no clearance to get to the top or sides. And if you tried to pry it open with only the bottom clips removed, IMO it would crack the upper flange(s). Here is where you need the caulking strip installed - see photo.

Attachments

• Air Box seal.jpg
    Air Box seal.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 150

challenger6pak

Reaction score
We used to caulk them when the cars were drivers. There is black caulk available. It may be enough of a fix to get you through the summer.

Cratos

Reaction score
took it out putted the bottom, found the rubber seal around the outlet was missing? don't know if it was the problem but have a new one on the way, also found the fresh air door was not closing all the way ,have a new switch coming for that.

Back