• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ammeter/Alternator issue

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Per SFEbody's recommendation, I have decided to pull all the wiring and send to Tommy at Parts Hound in Wisconsin. Sounds like he is "THE GUY" for all things electrical for Mopars.

As Clint Eastwood said, "a man has got to know his limitations'.

Oystercopy

Reaction score
I recently put in a Powermaster, 95-amp, and haven't noticed any problems. However, my lights stay brighter at night, which is nice.

FY1TopBanana

Reaction score
Oyster, you are using the alternator charge wire through your firewall to the ammeter as a fusible link. Happy that your lights are brighter, but as RTA notes, its not if, its when..
Mopar dash fires used to be well known to insurance adjusters when there were thousands of these cars on the roads. Before there were big audio amps and hydraulic or air compressor systems to stress a modern electrical system, in the day it was aftermarket air conditioners and motorola radios (think of a whole trunk full of electronics in the day.) I maintained fleet vehicles that had poor installations of these additional loads and cooked the wiring harness. Saw burned jute carpet pad, dash foam, and a lot of wiring insulation. Toxic smoke btw.
The police and special purpose vehicles with the big alternator of the day (about half the output of your Powermaster) used 10 ga charge wiring and a dedicated firewall grommet passthrough to the ammeter and for the battery feed to the fuse block.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score

“The flame that burns Twice as bright burns half as long.”​

quote-the-flame-that-burns-twice-as-bright-burns-half-as-long-laozi-73-30-90.jpg

Back