• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

anybody ever apply for a bonded title

spoolinhard

Reaction score
In iowa the vehicle is inspected and you pay one and a half times the current value of the car on the bond. Heres my dillemma. I bought a 70 t/a back (without a title) in 03 for what was a good deal for 03 prices. I did some work on it, then put it into storage and forgot about the car. I am afraid that i am going to get analy raped paying one and a half times the value of the car to get the title. Granted the car is stripped down to a bare shell right now but most of the metal work is done and it is a solid car. the current value of the car is much greater than what I paid for it in 03. I am just wandering if anyone has delt with this before in this manner. Are they gonna send someone out who sees a "stripped out old junk car," or are they gonna send someone out who is going to see a very solid challenger t/a? one and a half times the value is going to be rediculous. i am going to be calling the dmv on monday, just curious to get any feedback, hopefully someone has delt with something like this before. and yes I know I let this go waaaay too long (and Im probably going to pay for it) but life has priorities and this car obviously wasnt a large one at the time.
thanks
-Kaleb

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I`m in Mass and almost couldnt get a title for my 72 Barracuda,all I had was an expired registration from original owner and a copy of bill of sale from the second owner to the third owner who then sold to me.The second and third owners never registered the car or paid sales tax.But I was able to prove continuity of ownership down to me and they issued me a title after paying sales tax on $13,000.00. No-where near what I paid for the car but I got my title.

Not sure if any of this is any help to you,my advice if you got to bite the bullit and pay more in sales tax to get you title and move forward with your project it`s worth it in the end.

Cudaized

Reaction score
I'm a little confused here. They want 1 1/2 times the value of the car as a bond. If it is a bond don't you ever get the money back once they know the title is OK? Isn't the bond in case someone else challenges your ownership of the car? Or do you mean that you will have to pay sales tax on 1 1/2 times the value of the car which you won't get back. I know I once did a reconstruction of a M/B 380SL in NY state and actually had to take the car into a state inspection facility to get it checked and appraised for actual value. I was taxed at their figure not the price I paid for the car before the restoration and that was about 4X the original price.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
I'm a little confused here. They want 1 1/2 times the value of the car as a bond. If it is a bond don't you ever get the money back once they know the title is OK? Isn't the bond in case someone else challenges your ownership of the car? Or do you mean that you will have to pay sales tax on 1 1/2 times the value of the car which you won't get back. I know I once did a reconstruction of a M/B 380SL in NY state and actually had to take the car into a state inspection facility to get it checked and appraised for actual value. I was taxed at their figure not the price I paid for the car before the restoration and that was about 4X the original price.

Yes, you pay 1 and a half times the value of the car as the bond, not as sales tax, you get the money back but it is like 3 years later.

mrees72

Reaction score
Sell it to someone in another state. Title it there, Then have it sold back to you.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Was the person who you bought it from the last title holder for the car? If you can get in touch with them and there willing they can apply for a replacement title,then transfer it to you as if the sale occured more recently.Just be careful if they have the title they could claim they never sold it to you unless you can prove otherwise.

Check your state`s D.M.V website if you havent already done so maybe you can find help there.

My last suggestion is a title service.I almost needed to go that route if I didn`t get my title on my own.Do a web search for automobile title service and look into it. I can`t recomend one over the other since I never used any.Good luck!

spoolinhard

Reaction score
I do have a bill of sale from the last owner. His name is not on the title. I have a number from a previous owner(that has been on the title), that will not return contact with me.

Im not sure how long its been since it was titled. It is a very low mileage car that was a drag only car. I dont know how many of the owners titled it.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Kind of sounds similar to what I went through although I didn`t need a bond. I had an old registration from the original owner and copy of the bill of sale from original owner to john doe #1 who then sold to john doe #2 who then sold car to me.Neither john doe ever registered car.I should add titles were not required for cars over 15 years old at the time in Connecticut where car was.I`m in Mass and you need a title for everything.Sorry if this is confusing.

If you have a cancelled registration with last registered owners name make a bill of sale from that owner to the person you bought it from.Then make another from that person to you.I can`t guarantee success but it worked for me showing ownership of car from each seller down to me.

I got a little creative on my computer with a scanner and paint brush cutting and pasting a few signatures and dates to make it all work!:D I know it sounds bad but the car is legit and I had no worries about it being stolen or anything like that,just needed to do what I had to do to cut through all that DMV BS!

Cudaized

Reaction score
Yes, you pay 1 and a half times the value of the car as the bond, not as sales tax, you get the money back but it is like 3 years later.

Wow, that is crazy, never heard of that before. Learn something new every day. I now live in PA and here it is against the law to have an open title. If you are going to buy a car both parties have to go to a Notary/Tag service and sign the paper work in front of them, they are like privately owned DMV offices. By the way the following is just some friendly advice, I'm not trying to be "Big brother" or official here but, don't make up paperwork. I am retired law enforcement and we all know people that have sold cars in the past for 20X's less than what they are worth today and regret it. You don't want a previous owner that finds out the car is worth alot more now claiming ownership. If they check and stuff isn't correct they can take away your car after you put all your money and labor into it and DMV does keep copies of all the paperwork for many years. Again this is just some friendly advice, I wouldn't want you to take the chance of this happening to you. Remember although you have a bill of sale, the chain of ownership has to be proven, if there is a break in the chain the person before that break can claim they never sold the car. If they have paperwork showing no transfer, by law they are still the owner no matter what happened after that.

Last edited:
Back