• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anybody install a Dash Cap?

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
The interior on my '74 Challenger Rallye is in really nice shape, with the exception of 3 cracks in the dashboard.

Looking on Year One, I see they sell "dash caps" that basically fit right over the current dashboard (top).

Has anybody ever installed one of these before? My concerns are two fold.

1. Does the cap really look natural? Does it sit flat, adhere and mold to the original dash so it looks normal?

2. Does the color matchup? My question is if this thing is brand new, will the color stick out since the rest of the dash, door panels, seats, etc. are all going to be somewhat faded due to being basically 44 years old?

No offense to anybody, but I almost picture this thing looking like a bad toupee. Having said that, I have to believe that if people are buying and using them, they must look OK.

Any help here would be appreciated.

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Bad Toupee LMAO
I have one from Classic Industries that cost me after discounts about $80.00 and I am happy with it.
To answer your first question it depends on how knowledgeable and detailed minded you are.
That is to say that to the normal person and regular Mopar people it looks just fine.
Now if your a Mopar "expert" or hobbyist then no it will not look "normal". One big giveaway is the square cutout on the driver side VIN number tag area.
The above answer would also apply to your second question as far as color and texture. And probably yes your old door panels etc will look faded compared to it as it is new.
Bottom line to me was money and being a driver and not show. If otherwise up to $2000.00 for a full dash compared to $100.00 for a cap.
I will post some pictures of mine, so you be the judge as to whether it is worth it to you.
BTW , at least for me, it did pop over the original cracked dash almost like a glove.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I have also used a dash cap on my '74 Chally. I cut off the high spots of my original dash as it was split open in a few spots and filled in the voids with bondo. My interior is white with only the dash and bottom kick panels being black so i haven't really noticed a difference in color/texture. The only 2 spots which make it look like a cap is by the vin and driverside front corner which i think is more my fault then anything else (install spots to keep a eye on). But I am still happy with it. I didn't have a windshield in so this made it easier to clamp/tie down the cap (i also used weights). A lot cheaper then a new dash and having to remove/install your vin (you can't mail it with the dash if your sending it somewhere to get redone). If i don't forget i'll take some pictures after work

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Here are some quick pics---sorry for both the bad pics and dusty pad but I hope you get the idea.

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

racerkilla

Reaction score
I put a dash cap on my 73 cuda. I had the complete dash out and apart. I glued the cap in a few different sittings as I was able to really pull and work it around. For under 100 vs 800 for a repo dash cover I think its very nice.

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics!! Honestly, that looks fine to me. I'm not looking to build a "show car". It's going to be a "driver" as far as driving around every now and again in the summer months, participating in parades, and a number of local car shows. I've had the car about a month now, and man it's already a head turner!! lol

Dodgeboy, thanks for the tip on bondo. I notice that on the cracks they do stick up a bit, so I wondered maybe about filing/sanding them down, and then the bondo filler in that crack is a great idea.

Could either of you, when/if you get the time, kind of give me a summary/overview of the process? I'm thinking in the spring this is something I'm going to do.

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
For me it was fairly straight forward.
I just had one big crack in the middle and simply filed it down flat without adding anything between the crack. (Probably better if I had but the dash pad is pretty sturdy enough for that not to effect or show through. (At least in mine, your number of cracks, warp maybe way different)
Then finally just "snapped" it over and on the old dash and after I screwed in the middle speaker grill didn't even have to use the silicone glue that came with it. (Your "mileage" may differ)
That was all to it for me and still on tight from October 2016 to now.

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
For me it was fairly straight forward.
I just had one big crack in the middle and simply filed it down flat without adding anything between the crack. (Probably better if I had but the dash pad is pretty sturdy enough for that not to effect or show through. (At least in mine, your number of cracks, warp maybe way different)
Then finally just "snapped" it over and on the old dash and after I screwed in the middle speaker grill didn't even have to use the silicone glue that came with it. (Your "mileage" may differ)
That was all to it for me and still on tight from October 2016 to now.

Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad at all. I wondered about the silicone. I'll put this on my list of things to do.

Just out of curiosity, is that instrument cluster an after-market deal? It looks like there is a digital gauge on the speedometer?

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Yes, it is sort of, customized by me.
I took out the old OEM gauges put a wood overlay decal on the bezel and then installed a set of Speedhut gauges in their place.
The speedometer is GPS and also has a digital display for different information plus an integrated fuel gauge .

034 (2).JPG

013 (2).JPG

015.JPG

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
I did my dash cap way back in late 1990's so i forget all details of the install. I've done alot of painting so I'm sure I treated it similiar......as in sanding/roughing up the surface, wiping it down with a wax/grease remover, I'm sure i glued down (no silicone) then placed weights & straps on/over it to hold it down/inplace. I recall leaving it for a day or 2.

20171122_005345.jpg

20171122_005304.jpg

20171122_005512.jpg

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Sorry Not the best pictures but too much stuff to move outta the way. Don't have any real plans for the car over the winter (garage isn't heated yet) so its surrounded by "junk" so i have room to park the wifes jeep.
My cap was either from Year One or The Paddock (miss these guys)

DodgeGuy

Reaction score
Thanks for those pictures! I think yours looks just fine too. You guys have definitely alleviated my fears about it being a "bad toupee". lol

robert power

Reaction score
those caps look good except for around the vin.what did you do with that

racerkilla

Reaction score
I just left it.. not the best look but 95 compared to 800 plus.. I just did my 71 roadrunner cap and it looks factory fit but way smaller cap

70Hardtop

Reaction score
The original poster may have already done the job so this is just a "for what it's worth post" : I put a cap on my Challenger and the original dash was VERY bad, so it took a lot of work. I had spent $1000 on my other Mopar crashpad so I thought I would try the cap this time and save some $. The dash was out which made it much easier. But the results are almost fantastic and only a keen person would see it on. I had to use a small block of wood and some expanding foam (building cavity foam) to fill in the hollows and that was a very good decision.

My advice though would be to not use the supplied glue/adhesive/silicone or whatever they give you because the kit is made to a price and these will not be a great quality as they are trying to keep costs down. Best to use a good quality industrial polyurethane which will not be cheap but well worth it for a professional result. I used Marine Sikaflex 291 which is about $27 a tube for me and it is great for holding down all the edges and sealing the visible edges to reduce the notice-ability of the cap. And it will still be there doing its job after 10 years.

Back