• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anyone else like to garden?

ramenth

Reaction score
After this winter I've been itching to get back into the gardens. Hell, I was grateful to fire off the mower!

Got the veggie garden plot tilled up. The roses are coming up, the yard is nice and green. The side garden full of bulbs is popping tulips and daffodils, the lillies and glads are coming up.

I like to plant and nurture things to grow. It helps relax me after a hard days work. The flowers lend a "homey" flavor to the homestead, and I get to ***** and complain all fall when the wife likes to can and leave me a big mess to clean up....:toothy12:

Cranky

Reaction score
Was planning on one this year but things were really dry late winter and early spring and it still is! Planted some okra is all and it's slow growing because of the drought here. Gardens just don't do as well when watered with junk city water.....

burntorange70

Reaction score
My Dad and his wife are planting one in the garden cage for the first time in years. I just don't have enough time. To many other tings to take care of. Got a few apple and pomigranit trees and a bunch of pecan trees to take care of. Got a bunch of dang squirrels to kill before they get all of it. Have also been working on cleaning up the third pond. It is all over grown with trees and cattails. Got the first two done and all they need is a little upkeep every now and then. A lot more work once you let them go for a long time with no matinence.

pagilman

Reaction score
Yes man has a natural instinct to garden and subdue the earth. This was instilled in us by our creator during our creation as we were to live forever and care for Eden and expand it though out the earth.

ramenth

Reaction score
While we were out and about this weekend we got the started plants and seeds for the vegetable garden. Habaneros, jalapenos, bells, three kinds of tomatoes already started. The wife also picked up lettuce, two kinds of beans, zucchini, cucumber, and I'm not sure what else.

We also got two new roses to take place of a couple we lost over the winter. Those are the plants I really like to grow. My wife wasn't able to cut roses from her parents garden when she was a kid. Now she can cut as many as she likes, as long as she keeps doing it the way I showed her. And she has to let me cut from the Chrysler Imperial rose we have. :icon_biggrin:

Got her some hanging baskets made up which are now ringing the patio.

Had to retire last year's Old Glory. A storm got it. Now new colors are flying over the rose garden.

Took Saturday off to go to a local car show and spent Sunday just enjoying the planting and the yard work.

BIGSHCLUNK

Reaction score
I dont garden perse. But I do take care of the grass, shrubs, deck and patio. There's something peaceful about it for me.That and nobody bugs me!

ramenth

Reaction score
Veggies are up.

And growing nicely. Pics from last week. All the plants have pretty much doubled in size this from when these pics were taken.

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
The rhubarb

This is the first year for this plant: it's a cutting from my father-in-law in Minnesota, who in turn got his from a cutting from his Dad's farm in Saskatchewan. So, from Canada, to Minnesota, to New York.

028.jpg

This little guy is in it's second year. From a buddy of mine's farm. I had to nurse it back to health in it's first year and now it's growing nicely. Hoping to see some fruit off of it next year.

029.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
The grapes.

The Concord and Niagara. Second year for the Concord and first year on the Niagara. My wife's getting impatient, but growing up in wine country like I have I had to explain to her that this is one of the reasons that many wineries won't show a profit until the seventh or eighth year in business.

030.jpg

031.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Asian lollipop lillies

First year for these little guys, too. I have this gap between the garage and the neighbor's fence that I can't do a thing with. This little guys are supposed to spread like weeds. Go, little guys, go!

027.jpg

027.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Nope I hate gardening & would put a rock garden over the whole yard or pave it , idid find out there are 2 types of gardening though , my wife Like to garden , you know pick the plants & have me dig the holes , & then there is maintainence which she will not do , you know watering & weeding so guess who gets to do that part !!

burntorange70

Reaction score
Looks like a good garden Robert.

No garden but I do have a lot of trees.

Apple, Pomegranate, and Pecans,

Been killing the Fing squirrels so I can get some this year.:icon_axe:

This is what we got for pecans last year. Been watering them so we should get a lot more this year.

100_5051.jpg

100_5048.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
Looks like a good garden Robert.

No garden but I do have a lot of trees.

Apple, Pomegranate, and Pecans,

Been killing the Fing squirrels so I can get some this year.:icon_axe:

This is what we got for pecans last year. Been watering them so we should get a lot more this year.

Trees! Growing up on my dad's farm we counted 168 trees he had planted in the yard. A dozen fruit trees, apple, pear, and cherry, but most were ornamental. We'd walk out back for an apple, but he and momma really weren't concerned if they didn't get picked. Deer would come into our yard for the windfalls in the winter.

The second driveway, leading to the house, was double rowed pines with a hedge of lilacs and more pine running the entire length of the front yard, facing the road. These served a purpose: the prevailing wind from the northeast and the giant pasture across the road from us would drift snow into the driveways. The pines and lilacs acted as a windbreak.

Pop was meticulous about his trees. Maybe that's where I picked up my love for growing things?

msbaugh

Reaction score
All tell you what, nothing tastes as good as some home grown tomatoes! I can't stand them when they're not fresh

msbaugh

Reaction score
By the way I have a bay house recently hit by hurricane IKE. Nothing fancy, just a duck hunting cabin. But we planted about 25 oak trees to replace all the lost vegetation and a few pines... Ive gone down and watered them almost every weekend. With this drought here in Texas quite a few might not make it. I don't know if that counts as gardening lol

Back