• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Are E body leaf springs not square?

moparmike1974

Reaction score
Im getting ready to relocate my leaf springs and im mocking up the stock suspension to check everything since I replaced the rear rails. I know the frame rails splay outwards, but do the springs as well? Im showing the springs 2.5" wider at the rear.
Can anyone get a measurment of the leaf springs outside edge to outside edge both front and rear of the springs? Im getting 47 3/4" in the front and 50 1/4" in the rear. I just want to verify this is correct before proceeding any further since I assumed the leafs would be parallel.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Yes, from the factory they are wider at the rear. I moved my springs inboard and mini-tubbed my Challenger. I squared then up when I moved them into the frame rails and now run Caltracs with split mono leafs.

moparmike1974

Reaction score
I wonder if that affects the handling any. With the USCT spring relocation are they parallel or do they retain the splay in the rear?
I have already welded in the front spring buckets and notched the frame rails. Widening the wheel tubs next then will do the rear spring hangers. Im thinking of going with sliders for the rear instead of shackles.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I added a bar between my frame rail that does 3 things, my rear leaf spring shackles tie into it, my rear cage trunk bars go through the floor to this bar and my parachute mount also ties into this bar. About the best pictures I have showing what I am talking about.

Challenger Progress 018 [640x480].jpg

100_1663.jpg

rsz_20160702_220108_002.jpg

gzig5

Reaction score
I wonder if that affects the handling any. With the USCT spring relocation are they parallel or do they retain the splay in the rear?
I have already welded in the front spring buckets and notched the frame rails. Widening the wheel tubs next then will do the rear spring hangers. Im thinking of going with sliders for the rear instead of shackles.
I'm sure it was done intentionally from the factory and there is supposed to be an advantage to handling in some way. But I've slept since I read the article explaining it and can't remember the theory.

HPP

Reaction score

Yes, that was done for handling purposes. The splayed mounting means when the body starts to roll over, it is also twisting the leaf instead of just compressing it. That provides added resistance to compression. This is also why mopars leafs are 2.5" wide instead of 2" like all their competitors.

All '73 and newer B bodies and FJM bodies also had splayed leaf mounting arrangement, although these were wider in the front mounts

Back