• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

ATF+4 Transmission fluid opinions?

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Was recommended ATF+4 transmission fluid for torque flight. 71 Barracuda Gran Coupe. 318

Xcudame

Reaction score
Whatever's cheapest! Seriously! I've had Walmart Supertech in my 70 Challenger for about 15 years now! You can even run Ford Type F fluid in a torqueflite! The best thing you can do for any torqueflite is run some kind of auxillary cooler and a deep pan for the fluid.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I just picked up fluid for my newly rebuilt 727, after searching many of the posts on this it seems like the Ford Type F is closest to what was found back in the day. But at the same time I don't think there's really any wrong fluid you can use either, they'll all work. Synthetics maybe being overkill or whatever. In my own case I added a shift kit and the synthetics were specifically advised as something NOT to use, basically being too slippery for crisp shifts. And again the Type F was recommended.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
ATF + 4 seems to be un-nessisarily expensive , it is needed in newer transmissions but not the Tflight , F type would be the best choice IMO

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Be Aware. All the information above is good and from experience. Been there and done that. It only takes one time for the confusing situation to arise.
It all comes down to pressure in the transmission. Have only rebuilt and repaired a few. Dropped valve bodies and cleaned.
In one instance my son's transmission was slipping erratically. A few that have looked at it and said the transmission was going bad. Including the dealer. It would slip at times when it was up to highway speed it was ok. It would also puke fluid from dip stick fluid. Dealer said the breather tube was blocked. It was clear.
It is so true, If you want something done right do it yourself. So drug my son under the car and we went through valve body, connections and fluid lines . Got to the conclusion the fluid had to be changed again. After figuring out from previous ownership the fluid changes. Someone used the wrong fluid. It required a full synthetic. Change fluid and there are no problems.

So as far as ATF and other fluid uses. As I said all the information above is tried and tested.
But for myself I would and have used ATF+4 for the initial oil change. Then later I would top of with Dextron if need be and there are no problems. To go to the expense every 50-100k miles. I feel the expense is minimal. Compared to the problems that arise at the wrong time. This just my personal preference.

Last edited:

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Well the mechanic that rebuilt the tranny recommended ATF-4. He was a mechanic for a Chrysler dealership for 45 years. I have had a lot of great advice on this site! Now trying to figure my best choice.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
A little more on transmissions. Having to drive 150 4/10 miles one way every day for moths at a time. And then work 10-12 hours a day. I need a reliable car. So I drove a stick. Had 12 cars road worthy and 5 plated on the road. for a number of reasons.
But anyhow having to bench press a few transmissions in place a few times. While you hope the jack won't slip out of place. Fluid running into you arm pits. While the snow is blowing around or what ever. And trying to get a few bolts in.
The point I'm getting to is . If it is a daily driver or summer driver.
If it is a daily driver then the fluid is being cycled all the time and you probably could use what ever you wanted. If it sits for a period of time.
If it sits. Example: Bought a house decades back. 200+' driveway. Right beside neighbor's 100+' driveway. In her 70's.
The year we bought the house 2-3' snow each time , shoved it, neighbor's too. Was not going to let her shovel hers. Also working 12-13 1/2 hrs 7 days for 6 months. Multiple Powerplant work.
As soon as I could guess what I did. Went and bought a truck with a plow! And had to put a transmission in it!!! I knew it needed a trans. But it had a plow.
What I'm getting at is the plow truck would sit until I needed it. It only would plow the driveway or pull a few stumps. A few years latter stared having trouble with it. Talked to someone that knew about it. He said, from it sitting so much it vanishes up inside from not being run. So I went back to the tried and true from decades back snake oil Trans Tune. And it worked again.
Tried to keep it short. Wanted to give a full perspective what happens when not run or maintained.
And yes it required ATF+ 4 that I put in.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Newer fluids can be used in older applications( reverse compatible) But the oler fluids are not always compatible with newer rebuilds.
The cost of transmission fluid should be your last consideration. It is not like you are constantly changing your fluid. ATF+4 is the stuff.
Ford fluid was an old "racers trick" from the 70's . It had more friction which gave firmer shifts at the expense of shorter clutch life.

Back