• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Best K Member package?

Stockcar axeman

Reaction score
Hello,

Well I'm looking at 3 different K member swap out kits and can't find the answers I'm looking for so I thought maybe someone on this site has some experience with 1 or more of these brands,
Alterkation
HDK
QA1

They all look nice. I am putting it into a 73 Challenger with a mini tub job and big cube Hemi with an 727. The car will be driven on the street a little as well as running down the quarter mile. I'm not worried about going through the corners, only hooking hard and going straight. Has anyone used the QA1 with a big block on the strip? Or for that matter any of them on the strip? Anything to be on the look out for with this setups? Any help is appreciated. I am in the process of restoring the car so I want to order it asap in case there is a delay in getting stuff as is so common these days.

Thanks for any help,
Cary

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would use the QA1 as it retains the torsion bars & steering geometry
ALterKation would be my last choice

SFEbody

Reaction score
I am using the QA1 along. with. some Hotchkis parts. are you. can. see

Attachments

• 023B60D9-42D7-42F5-9D39-FDC47FF43CA9.jpeg
    023B60D9-42D7-42F5-9D39-FDC47FF43CA9.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 178

FY1TopBanana

Reaction score
I've been on an AlterKtion for 15 years. Magnum Force was around then, then XV came, then QA1. Don't know what Chryco's issue is but my E body AlterK is an extremely fine handling setup with QA1 adjustables on 450# springs and my custom leaf spring rear. Maintenance has been limited to lower control arm bushings. FWIW I bought the AlterK to get rid of the torsion bars, allow some suspension tuning, plus get rid of the weight and clearance limitations. (I also have an A body with AlterK and StreetLynx so I know a bit about leaf vs RMS triangulated rear.)
  • I weighed out the parts off (K member, control arms, steering box, tie rod linkage, torsion bars) vs AlterK/rack/control arms on and dropped 65 lb. I was going from a 318 car to Hemi anyway. Saved me the K frame swap or conversion mount stuff.
  • Header fit (TTI), crossmember location, shaker clearance, have all worked out with the AlterK design and mounts.
  • I put it together first on a manual rack, drove it for a few seasons, then went to the Flaming River MII power rack when it came out. The FR rack design solves a major Hemi engine mount/oil pump clearance problem with prior "tall shaft tower" MII racks.
  • I have run it with and without the front sway bar in hard driving. It really doesn't need the front bar unless you are REALLY pushing. Another testament to the design.

And an intangible; Bill Reilly is a real businessman. He answers the phone, looks after his product, is his own quality inspector, and doesn't nickel and dime the customer. Try getting that from a big vendor whose product is sold through distribution. Just sayin.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I've been on an AlterKtion for 15 years. Magnum Force was around then, then XV came, then QA1. Don't know what Chryco's issue is but my E body AlterK is an extremely fine handling setup with QA1 adjustables on 450# springs and my custom leaf spring rear. Maintenance has been limited to lower control arm bushings. FWIW I bought the AlterK to get rid of the torsion bars, allow some suspension tuning, plus get rid of the weight and clearance limitations. (I also have an A body with AlterK and StreetLynx so I know a bit about leaf vs RMS triangulated rear.)
  • I weighed out the parts off (K member, control arms, steering box, tie rod linkage, torsion bars) vs AlterK/rack/control arms on and dropped 65 lb. I was going from a 318 car to Hemi anyway. Saved me the K frame swap or conversion mount stuff.
  • Header fit (TTI), crossmember location, shaker clearance, have all worked out with the AlterK design and mounts.
  • I put it together first on a manual rack, drove it for a few seasons, then went to the Flaming River MII power rack when it came out. The FR rack design solves a major Hemi engine mount/oil pump clearance problem with prior "tall shaft tower" MII racks.
  • I have run it with and without the front sway bar in hard driving. It really doesn't need the front bar unless you are REALLY pushing. Another testament to the design.

And an intangible; Bill Reilly is a real businessman. He answers the phone, looks after his product, is his own quality inspector, and doesn't nickel and dime the customer. Try getting that from a big vendor whose product is sold through distribution. Just sayin.
I have one also for all the same reasons with thousands of street miles and strip use.

20150920_190437.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

photo0.jpeg

Tig

Reaction score
I'm using a QA1 crossmember with Heim jointed UCA's, QA1 LCA's and Heim strut rods with torsion bars. I race in a class that asks for "stock style" suspension so I kept to a torsion bar system. I'd much rather have gone for a coil over / rack front as you get way more clearance for headers, better pan options etc, it's pretty annoying as they've now "relaxed" the rules to include Mopars with coil over front conversions :)

kJMVIys.jpg

1moretoy

Reaction score
I just order a complete Alterktion front subframe and streetlynx rear from Bill with 14" willwood's front & back. Like mentioned above, Bill the owner, actually answers the phone, not a 100 prompts to go through in order to get someone on the phone. He's been very patient with all of my questions and not once did it seem like I was bothering him. A true buisness man and someone that takes pride in his work. Can't wait to get my parts in.

Back