• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Block ID and Stage-V conversion heads

MannHill

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bit of a confusing engine combo here and I'm not versed enough in the ways of the Hemi on my own, hoping someone here with more experience can help.

I have this 426 "Hemi" with leaking head gaskets. On teardown I've discovered that the engine is sporting a pair of Stage-v heads that look like the conversion heads and the block doesn't look like an original Hemi block, sort of. The heads have the inner row bolts down thru the intake ports instead of studs and they also have external oil drains at the rear corners like the Wedge conversion heads. The block however has square outer corners at the deck like a Hemi and does, in fact, have 1 oil drain drilled at the LF corner, but it isn't machined for inner row head studs like a Hemi would be. I also noticed the block isn't cross bolted. The block is cast with 2468330 which seems to come up as a 66-71 426 Hemi, but obviously this isn't. I am guessing the block is some manner of crate block but I'd like to ID it more accurately. The pad numbers are H2522 244, which I haven't been able to decode.

Biggest issue for me right now is the head gasket. A standard Hemi gasket has a pushrod(?) notch that goes into the coolant passage on this block and a wedge gasket isn't going to deal with the 1 drilled oil drainback so I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what gasket to order, at $100 ea I'd rather not have to order several before getting the right one.

One other issue I'm curious about is on teardown I've found 3 out of the 4 head dowel pins fractured, with half stuck in the block and the other half stuck in the head. I've never seen this before on any engine.

Any insight from the Hemi guru's ?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would contact Stage V & see if they have the correct gasket , Cometic is another option .
Wish I could help more .

MannHill

Reaction score
Update, in case anyone comes across this thread in the future looking for the same information.

I spent a bit of time doing some research last night, it looks like what I have is the 426 Wedge Mega Block, non siamesed, 2 bolt main. The part number of this block was probably P5007671. Likely made by World Products, these were sold as a bare block from Mopar Performance back in the 2000's, possibly as early as the late 90's and on to 2014-15. These blocks were available in 9 different configurations, Wedge/Hemi, Siamese/Non-Siamese, so forth.

They used unique head gaskets, Mopar composite gaskets: Hemi = P4876071 Wedge = P4876070, Shim style gaskets: Hemi = P4120247 Wedge = P4286754, appears to still be valid part numbers. I talked to John Arruzza, who incidentally recalls building 2 engines eerily similar to what I have here, he remembers there is a single Fel-pro part number that fits this engine but he couldn't remember the number. I did some more digging and I think it is #1039. Incidentally, I also talked to Stage-v, they were not able to offer any information at all.

Bobzilla

Reaction score
I remember reading about these a long time ago but never seen them in person. Please post some pictures so we can see it.

Steve Magnate did a magazine article. Looks like he used a Fel Pro 1009 back then. I assume he trimmed it for head studs and pushrods. There is one picture in the article linked below, showing the area at the rear where a Hemi block would normally have the oil drain.

I looked at a picture of the 1039 you mentioned. I never seen those before. Interesting.

Building a Hemi for Less - Car Craft Magazine

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
You may want to talk to Eddie Haines at HemiHaines in Daytona Beach, FL. He uses Stage V head on his builds.
Another vendor is For Hemis Only in Tampa, FL.
And also, John Aruzza at Aruzza High Performance in North Carolina who you have already contacted.
I have not used any of these vendors. I just know they are building GENII hemi engines.

Last edited:

MannHill

Reaction score
I remember reading about these a long time ago but never seen them in person. Please post some pictures so we can see it.

Steve Magnate did a magazine article. Looks like he used a Fel Pro 1009 back then. I assume he trimmed it for head studs and pushrods. There is one picture in the article linked below, showing the area at the rear where a Hemi block would normally have the oil drain.

Cool article, those are the heads I have, my block is the Mega block though, which has a deck that is sort of a combination of a wedge and a hemi. The Fel Pro 1009 would be correct to use the Stage-v heads on an actual wedge block from what I have learned, but they wouldn't work on the Mega block.

My Fel Pro 1039 head gaskets arrived and I can now confirm that they are the correct gaskets for this combo, with just a very slight bit of trimming needed for clearance at the first and last pushrod locations, which is noted on the paper insert that came with the gasket.

The only other special gaskets I've learned are needed are the header gaskets. The Stage-v heads have raised rectangular ports. I found the Remflex 6040 fits well, they were made specifically for the raised port Stage-v heads. All the other gaskets are standard stuff so far.

I'll try and add some pictures later to document some of this.

blubyou340

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bit of a confusing engine combo here and I'm not versed enough in the ways of the Hemi on my own, hoping someone here with more experience can help.

I have this 426 "Hemi" with leaking head gaskets. On teardown I've discovered that the engine is sporting a pair of Stage-v heads that look like the conversion heads and the block doesn't look like an original Hemi block, sort of. The heads have the inner row bolts down thru the intake ports instead of studs and they also have external oil drains at the rear corners like the Wedge conversion heads. The block however has square outer corners at the deck like a Hemi and does, in fact, have 1 oil drain drilled at the LF corner, but it isn't machined for inner row head studs like a Hemi would be. I also noticed the block isn't cross bolted. The block is cast with 2468330 which seems to come up as a 66-71 426 Hemi, but obviously this isn't. I am guessing the block is some manner of crate block but I'd like to ID it more accurately. The pad numbers are H2522 244, which I haven't been able to decode.

Biggest issue for me right now is the head gasket. A standard Hemi gasket has a pushrod(?) notch that goes into the coolant passage on this block and a wedge gasket isn't going to deal with the 1 drilled oil drainback so I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what gasket to order, at $100 ea I'd rather not have to order several before getting the right one.

One other issue I'm curious about is on teardown I've found 3 out of the 4 head dowel pins fractured, with half stuck in the block and the other half stuck in the head. I've never seen this before on any engine.

Any insight from the Hemi guru's ?
I would check squareness and plane. Of the deck on the block 1st and do the same on the head seams that the block pins would have to have alot of stress to fracturet know about t which could indicate head movement do to warpage as for the heads and there design i dont know. I do know that hemis are rare and back in my day there was alot of drag racing and several little companies trying to develop the next best nitch to win . they sound like nomatter what kind of heads they are oviously worked for someone at one point i would have them checked and milled if needed

Back