• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake booster replacement

Avalanche

Reaction score
To replace a power brake booster, do I have to drain the brake fluid from the master cylinder? or can it be done by just swapping it with everything in place?

js29

Reaction score
no brake fluid goes into the booster, you should be able to unbolt the master cylinder pull it forward enough to clear everything. just be careful not to bend or kink the brake lines. and maybe support the master and not let it just hang.

Avalanche

Reaction score
My challenger was changed from manual to power before I owned it. It looks like it's from a later year cAR (71-74). Should I still get a booster 70 only or one for a later model (71-74).
Does it matter which I use?

Avalanche

Reaction score
Look for a part number and brand name.

I looks like a Cardone booster 11" single
part numbers # 8106878
30??698
This is what came in a box when I got the car. I'm not positive if its correct for my application.
Pedal goes 1/2 way down and then brakes engage all at once.

Disks up front drums in back.

moparleo

Reaction score
It has done that since you got it ? It doesn't sound like a booster problem. The booster is just a vacuum assist to the brakes. It won't control front to rear lockup. You need to make sure that the brakes are adjusted properly and that the brake proportioning valve is operating properly.

734406Pack

Reaction score
Don't mean to hi jack your thread but I have a related issue.

my rear drum brakes. I have replaced the whole drum assembly, replaced brake booster and even got a wilwood proportioning valve. rear brakes still lock up as I am driving and pedal gets stuck to the floor and I have to manually bring it back up with my foot. I have bled the brakes correctly adjusted the booster needle. next step is just removing the brake booster and running just the master cylinder. seeing if any of you are doing this and how it feels.

Back