• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake pedal bolt doesn't fit.

Lemon twist Cuda

Reaction score
73 Cuda 340. First restoration shop ripped me off. Shop even has lost a lot of my parts so I have nothing to go by. Here is my problem. New master cylinder with power brake booster has been put in. The push rod that goes to the pedal needs a bolt. Bought a brake pedal bolt that fits a 70-74 cuda. Shoulder bolt is 7/16 x 20. Chrysler E body book says that bolt should fit. Went to hardware store and bought a 7/16 x 20 bolt and nut to make sure right size. It is the same size bolt I bought for the cuda. But the hole in the push rod is to small. What is wrong. Is it a wrong master cylinder. I don't want to take the master cylinder out I had a rough time fastening the master cylinder to the fire wall with those 4 nuts.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sounds like you are missing the bellcrank linkage.
s-l400-4.jpg

Lemon twist Cuda

Reaction score
Where does the hole in the push rod from the master cylinder that comes thru the fire wall hook too. Doesn't that special bolt with the O ring go thru the hole in the push rod.

Lemon twist Cuda

Reaction score
You people on here have made me go look harder at the brake pedal and it looks like I am missing the pivot assembly. I didn't know I was missing that. Guess what, another piece that the restoration shop didn't give me back. Looks like it will cost me about $100.00 to get a pivot assembly that I had in the car when I gave it to them. They lost a lot of my parts. Glad it is not there any more. Thanks for the help. Can't wait to see what is next. I have seen on ebay the pivot assembly for 50-60 bucks, but I think they said it fits a 69 B body. Anybody know if that will fit a 73 E body. Classic has one for 109.00 fitting an E body.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. I don't know if the 69 is the same part.

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
I have a 73 Challenger, not Cuda. Don't know if the parts are the same or not but this is what my linkage looks like. The Connection to the booster and to the pedal link are just straight pins held in place with cotter pins. This joint also has a spring clip inside the clevis of the crank. The connection between the pedal and the pedal link uses a special shoulder bolt with an O ring to help hold the grease in place.
DSC_20521.JPG
DSC_14186.JPG

FCC

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but I had the same issue with the paint shop and now need to rebuild my brake pedal assembly. Hope it's ok to repost Mike's pic??? Does anyone know what size those clevis pins are and where to get them? Thanks.

ebody brake linkage.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I don't have the linkage here to measure but my bet would be 3/8" , the would be the diameter of the hole in the linkage , a goof hardware store should have similar pins even if you have to redrill the hole & shorten the pins

FCC

Reaction score
Thanks! It IS 3/8" diameter and appears to be 3/4" long. I just cut down a 2" long to fit.

DaveBob

Reaction score
The 3/8 pins appear to be clevis pins. I recommend McMaster-Carr for all special hardware. Also, calling in the order can be faster than online, if you live near one of their satellite facilities (not the main facility in the Midwest) and call the order in there. Otherwise, the order is processed through their Midwest HQ.

Here is a sample listing. But, you can start at the mcmaster.com home page, then type clevis pins, and then do the menu picks.

Note, on the end without the head, you could use a pin that accepts a C-clip instead of a clip or cotter.

Back