• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Brake Return

JedIEG

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times and answered just as many but maybe someone can answer again... I have a 74 'Cuda, front power dicks stock. I converted to disks in the rear with a SSBC kit. The breaks work fine, no fade during stops. However, the breaks stay on a enough after i let off the peddle that if I am on a slight hill and put the car in neutral, I dont roll and the lights will stay on. It seems to happen when I apply the breaks slowly or just a little bit but if I quickly tap and release, the peddle comes back. I have a rebuilt master cylinder and new lines and calipers and everything. I bought a brand new master cylinder today in hopes that the rebuilt one is just a dud but I was also told something about the proportioning valve. Does anyone know what my problem is? what should I do?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
drum brakes have a residual pressure valve to keep the seal from leaking , the master either has to be 4 wheel disc or you have to remove the brass insert inside the master that the line seals against & remove the rubber residual pressure valve from behind it . I have used a screw & threaded it into the hole & pulled the brass insert out using vice grips then just put the brass insert back in & tightened the line against it to seat it again .

JedIEG

Reaction score
Do i need to remove the residual pressure valves for both the lines or just the front former brum brake line?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
there will only be a residual pressure valve where the drum brakes used to be connected to so if the master is the one for the front disc rear drum system you will only have the RP valve in the port feeding theline to the rear .

Back