• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Break-In oil Royal Purple?? Opinions??

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Again, asking opinions on Royal Purple to start the engine for the first time since 1998.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Personally, I would use Valvoline VR1 for initial startup. I'm not sure all Royal Purple has zinc and phosphorus and you need that for flat tappet cams.

And be sure to prime the oil system with a long hex shaft and drill motor while slowly cranking the engine by hand. Then drop in the intermediate shaft and distributor. Carburator fuel bowls need to be full and a squirt or two (nothing crazy!) of starting fluid. You want it to start instantly.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
Again, asking opinions on Royal Purple to start the engine for the first time since 1998.
I think this is another one of those things where you could ask 50 people for an opinion and get 50 different recommendations. Brad Penn, Lucas, Joe Gibbs, on and on. NAPA recently had a sale, they happened to carry Royal Purple, I went with Royal Purple.

Best engine break-in oil

IMG_5333.JPG

oil.JPG

Last edited:

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
I like to use Lucas break in oil, when changed, switch to VR1.

IMG_7551.jpeg

Xcudame

Reaction score
The main thing is having extra zinc and phosphorus. You can use STP oil treatment and the cheapest oil you can find?

Adam

Reaction score
Personally, I would use Valvoline VR1 for initial startup. I'm not sure all Royal Purple has zinc and phosphorus and you need that for flat tappet cams.

And be sure to prime the oil system with a long hex shaft and drill motor while slowly cranking the engine by hand. Then drop in the intermediate shaft and distributor. Carburator fuel bowls need to be full and a squirt or two (nothing crazy!) of starting fluid. You want it to start instantly.
For others that may read this when starting an engine for the first time: I like to “static time” the engine so that it starts instantly. This works great and usually the engine doesn’t even make a full revolution before it runs.

Bring the engine to 8-10 degrees btdc on the compression stroke.
Loosen the dist hold down so you can turn the dist. easily.
Hook up a timing light to #1 plug wire & battery.
Turn the key to on, but do NOT crank it. You want the ignition system powered up.
Turn the dist past the #1 terminal and then back towards #1 (not super slow, not super fast) while holding the timing light trigger down*** The coil should fire and you will see the timing light confirm this.
Tighten the dist hold down, and you are ready to try a start, assuming you have gas.

*** The direction you turn the dist is clockwise on a small block, and CCW on a big block. You want to turn the dist so the leading edge of the rotor approaches the #1 terminal in the direction it will fire when the engine is running.

This was taught to me in the 80s by one of the best mechanics I ever knew; Jim Martin. Unfortunately killed in a motorcycle accident. Thanks Jim, wherever you are.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I used Comp cams breakin oil 10w 50w. From Walmart of all places delivered. I think I used Rislone ZZDP additive. Getting the point . ZZDP!
1714051920578.png

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
Best to use a formulated break in oil.
No real benefit to put in extra additive from info I read.

Back