• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bumpers with and without jack slots?

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Is there a way to find out which type of bumper is correct for 71 barracuda gran coupe? I know it didn't come with 1 of each. It was rear ended, so I believe it is without? Has original markings in front.

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
According the AMD site, some 71s had bumpers with slots. The 71 that I had back in the late 80s had slots. However, in the OPs case I would assume both bumpers were originally without.

Steve340

Reaction score
Have you got the original bumper jack? It might give you a clue.
My Challenger is a fairly early build date (November 1970) and it has bumpers without slots and the curved bumper hook.

resronut

Reaction score
My 1971 Challenger is an April car and the jack is dated March 71 and has a curved hook no slots

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
My 71 Barracuda that had slotted bumpers had an SPD of 527 and VIN sequence ending 406XXX, built in Hamtramck. Of course, I can't guarantee the bumpers on it in 1987 were the ones it was born with, but both the front and rear bumpers were slotted and it had the slotted jack hook. I can remember this because I remember realizing that the bumpers and jack hook were different when I bought my 70 later. I also had to get used to those LH threaded lug nuts :mad: I was always under the impression that all 71s had the slotted bumpers, but apparently not.

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Have you got the original bumper jack? It might give you a clue.
My Challenger is a fairly early build date (November 1970) and it has bumpers without slots and the curved bumper hook.
Build date is same. Unfortunately I do not have the jack. I also believe it is without, because the front bumper is original without. The car was rear-ended in early 80s. So I believe they put a bumper on that was with the slots. Probably from a junk yard then. Could use an original rear bumper without the slots. Could swap the on with slots.

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Build date is same. Unfortunately I do not have the jack. I also believe it is without, because the front bumper is original without. The car was rear-ended in early 80s. So I believe they put a bumper on that was with the slots. Probably from a junk yard then. Could use an original rear bumper without the slots. Could swap the on with slots.
Oh, an original jack stand would be nice. If someone has an extra.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The 2nd challenger I got build date 3 71 hand the hook bumper. My opinion if it was mid or late year 71 build date it would be the slot bumper. That would all depend if they had a change date or depleted the stock.
2nd picture hook bumper jack.
1692837548982.jpeg
1692837384915.jpeg

I opted for the jack hook delete.

Last edited:

gran coupe john

Reaction score
Was just in PA this past weekend. Picked up my restored heater box, from heater box Rich. He does fantastic work.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Regardless, slots or no slots, either bumper jack is absolutely worthless and nothing more than for show at this point. Stupidest and most dangerous jack ever. Give me a scissor jack, bottle jack or little floor jack anyday for a daily driver.

Steve340

Reaction score
I agree bumper jack to be used only if very desperate.
But - the trunk just does not look complete to me if it is missing.

moparleo

Reaction score
Compact hydraulic floor jack. Piece of at least 1/2" plywood that has the footprint of the jack in case you end up in dirt, gravel etc..Pair of rubber wheel chocks. Good quality wrench. Large, old towel or similar to kneel/sit on while working and good pair of gloves.
All can be stored in a fairly small box.
The bumper on post #15 looks like it came off of an old Buick.

Last edited:
Back