• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can any one decode the trans # for me ?

Cratos

Reaction score
on my 70 RT project I need to decode the stamping on the 727 trans
#
PK452902298701166
can anyone help?

thanks

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Based on the part number 4529022 and the 10,000 day calendar date 9870 I’m guessing this is a late ‘70s trans. The 10,000 day calendar for ‘73/‘74 ends at 4720 and a trans from ‘74 would have a part number starting wit 36 or 37.

Cratos

Reaction score
any way to know if it is the 4 or 5 clutch unit without tearing it down? I am putting a sixpack set-up on it. so the stronger the better :)

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I don’t know much about the innards of that one. Are you sure it’s a 727 and not a 904? Are we talking big block?

hellrats

Reaction score
The only way to know for sure it to open it up.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I bought a used 46RH for a hundred bucks on Craigslist and used it as a doner when I had my ‘71 727 rebuilt. I’ll see if I can locate that thread.
That was easy!
Transmission rebuild

Here's what I had done to mine, so far so good.

Here are a few of the improvements made to my trans. I found a used late '90s 46RE on Craigslist as a doner for some of the mods. The valve body got a shift improver kit and the oem steel check balls were replaced with the composite ones from the 46RE as they don't beat up the separator plate like the steel ones.
New TCI HP intermediate sprags.
New style dimpled input bushing in pump housing for improved oiling.
Replaced main output shaft bearing.
Back planetary set was replaced from the oem 3 gear set to the 4 gear from the 46RE.
Front clutch pack springs went from the 9 originals + 3 reds from the 46RE to = 12.
Front clutch pack bushing replaced with new updated grooved style for improved oiling.
Front clutch pack discs changed from 4 oem to 5 Alto-red .062 discs.
Back clutch pack discs changed from 3 oem to 4 alto-red .062 discs.
Kick down apply lever changed from 3.2 oem to 3.8.
New front and rear bands, good ones.
6 1/2" washers used as blocker in the low/reverse apply piston assembly.
Removed casting flashings from case(one was dangerously close to falling off which would have been disasterous)
This was all done by a close friend of mine whose a guru imo and I'm really looking forward to experiencing the performance of this trans.

Cratos

Reaction score
got it apart to find it had been rebuilt :) red clutches new front and rear drums new steels It has very few miles ( now ware) putting it back together. Nice surprise! taking motor and trans to body shop for install before fenders go on. hoping to get it home soon :)

Back