• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can anyone help with 70 Challenger seatbelt installation? Pictures?? Measurements?? Please!!

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
I added three point seatbelts, but I didn’t like the exposed reel box and also wanted to attempt to make it look like it was factory. So I located the reel under the carpet where the OEM reel for the lap-belt was. I made stainless steel plates to attach the the bezel.

I used a brand of seatbelt that does not need to be level to function. I installed one that uses centrifugal force rather than momentum. I exited the front portion (lap-belt portion) through the existing carpet slit for the OEM lap-belt to match the original lap-belt geometry, and rotated the real towards the back of the car. I added another slit to the carpet and relocated the bezel there. That is why a centrifugal real is needed. It is not level in that position. The reel is pointed at the mounting point for the shoulder harness so that it feeds smoothly when buckling the belt.

I liked these belts, not just because they are actuated by centrifugal force, but also because the buckles look similar to the OEM buckles. I also replaced the mounting bolts with new ones and backed them up with Nylocs because I don’t want to risk them pulling out from 53 year old floorboards.

1A31A955-DE89-4A32-A0FF-6FA637AE3E93.jpeg

4CECB6AA-34E5-4F9C-84CF-7BCEF5A67A8E.jpeg

C574E2BC-0206-4B08-A8AD-4B2AA964ED4C.jpeg

Last edited:

joecola

Reaction score
Question on a 70 Challenger shoulder belt. Is there two brackets and is there a bracket that get mounted under the headliner?

Cuda360-4

Reaction score
Your 70 Challenger should have a shoulder belt. The problem with it is that it doesn’t retract. When I tried wearing it in my ‘Cuda, I felt trapped because I couldn’t move. But, the mounting point for the shoulder belt worked perfectly as the shoulder belt mount for the retractable belt. I bought a new bolt, but it mounts in the same place. It was the same for the reel under the carpet.

Back