• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

'70 CHAllENGER DIGGING IN A GARAGE: NEED HELP PLEASE!

johnny55

Reaction score
OK,

I joined this site today, because I am in real need of help. I have been looking through the forums here, and i realized this is definitely the place that can help me with a unique(at least for me) situation.

While house hunting with my wife and two year old son, i opened a garage door and WHAM a dodge. We went through the home with the owner, a 72 year old widower, and to be honest, we are putting an offer in on the house. the funny part came when I ran back inside "to get another look at the bathroom" I am NOT kidding when I tell you the Realtor had to come get me from the garage.

Anyway, what i can guess we have here is 1970 dodge challenger R/T 440 magnum convertible, the color seems to be like dark hunter-metallic green, with a black racing stripe, I actually got a look at the odometer before the agent found me, and it read 96,000+. the thing looks like its in great shape no dings, paint nice and smooth, and looks like its original.

this is where the guru's come in. Is there anyone here that can give me an idea of a worth here. because what will happen is that if this offer i made on the house goes through, i am going to offer her cash to leave the car with me. I want to get this car, I just dont want to get burned.

I appreciate anything you all can do for me, i will try to add more info as you all as questions.

thanks alot guys
johnny

ramenth

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Johnny. Cool story. Good luck on the purchase of the house and the car.

I'm not gonna be much help with the value, but I'll pull up a chair, sit down, and wait to see what some of gumber nuru's have to say.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Would really need to know more about the vehicle in order to start figuring value. If it's real, original and solid I would say no less them $40,000 and could go up from there, way up! Is it a survivor? manual or auto?

johnny55

Reaction score
Hey guys, and thank you very much for the very warm welcome.

I am going to try my best here, my wife thinks me absolutly obsessed at this point, and to be honest - I really am, the car was gorgous and I just can't get it off my mind.

The shifter was like none I have seen before. It appears an automatic, but it looks like you would need to push it a little to the right from the park position, then slid it down to drive... And maybe needing to back to the left a bit to get it into the "D".

Not sure if that makes sense.

I am not really sure what a survivor is sounds cool as all heck tho.

Again guys, I really appricate the feedback...

Thanks johnny

johnny55

Reaction score
If I get to look at this thing again, where would I find the vin##. I mean exactly where because if I get the chance it would have to be very very quickly done.

6packcuda

Reaction score
Drivers side dash right where the dash meets the windshield. Maybe you should just ask the owner what the story is with the car instead of sneaking around. Just a thought.

johnny55

Reaction score
ok, if I am able to set up another walk through I will look in that exact spot and try to snap off a picture. I wish i had known that's where it was initially. Anything else I should look for that you can think of?

Also, as far as contacting the owner, when looking at homes (I have looked at several so far), the owners are seldom there. So I am still hoping that you all can be the light in the tunnel. What i am hopefully doing here is trying my best to accumulate as much knowledge, so if the opportunity should arise, i will look the complete fool. you all have been that light so far, and for that I thank you all immensely for all your time and effort. Hopefully this story will have a happy ending...

thanks again,

Johnny

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
ok, if i am able to set up another walk through i will look in that exact spot and try to snap off a picture. I wish i had known that's where it was initially. Anything else i should look for that you can think of?

The keys and the garage door clicker!!!!!!Drive it like you stole it!:D

Last edited:

74CudaDave

Reaction score
Write the car into the house offer - if you lowball on the car value but work it in so the house deal is attractive to her, she may go for it. Or she'll tell you she's giving it to her 14 year old grandson for his birthday.

70challengerdane

Reaction score
haha good one 74cudadave lol
as far as an exact placment on the vin, i found a pic on google of the wrong vehicle but same idea... basically in front of the driver where the cops can see it quickly haha

dodge vin.jpg

Cudaized

Reaction score
Did you setup another viewing date yet? I'm sure everyone here is waiting to find out what you have discovered.

Swept57

Reaction score
Your going to have to talk to the owner and get a GOOD look at the car to establish a value. It is a convertible so it already has significant value. But is it a real R/T and is the paint hiding anything will also affect the value significantly. The shifter sounds non-stock so the survivor status is already in question. I'm with 6packcuda, just ask but do it in a casual way. Dave

3406pk

Reaction score
If you can open the hood take a picture of the fender tag that has all the vin info and all the options to see if engine,paint, & options are original. There are vin decoder threads on here and FABO site in forums. Also take a refrigerator magnet to check the lower quarters, front fenders, rocker panels for bondo. Compare pull of magnet to good metal high on body to those lower areas for bondo and rust.
Good luck. Pricing can be found on magazine racks "Mopar collectors guide" and collector car pricing guides. If body is sound and number matching engine then $40k might be good, if not then $20k maybe. Good luck

Back