• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can anyone help with 70 Challenger seatbelt installation? Pictures?? Measurements?? Please!!

Gold Duster

Reaction score
Hello Mopar family!! We recently had a new headliner installed in a 1970 Challenger. Well, when it came time to install the seat belts, we realized here were no markings where the shoulder harness portion of the seatbelt is installed. What I need is a photo or two of the shoulder portions of the seatbelt and where exactly does the bolt go. on the roofline. Would also like to know where exactly the screw hole is for the seatbelt retainer clip is on the same roofline. Any help with pictures and/or measurement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
This might help.

20210522_211006.jpg

20210522_220148.jpg

TomIGo

Reaction score
Gold Duster, Don't know if these pics help. I measured for the same points in preparation to replace my headliner. My 70 Challenger has two hooks in front of the shoulder belt attachment point. The rear hook is 17 inches center to center from the attachment point, and the front is 26 inches from the attachment point.

Shoulder_belt_hangers.jpg

Shoulder_belt_rear_hook.jpg

Shoulder_belt_front_hook.jpg

Gold Duster

Reaction score
Gold Duster, Don't know if these pics help. I measured for the same points in preparation to replace my headliner. My 70 Challenger has two hooks in front of the shoulder belt attachment point. The rear hook is 17 inches center to center from the attachment point, and the front is 26 inches from the attachment point.

View attachment 102623

View attachment 102624

View attachment 102625
These are awesome!! I know once I punch a hole in the headliner, there is no turning back. Thank you so much!

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
You will probably never wear them but they will at least look factory correct.
The engineers that came up with the shoulder belts failed miserably.
It must have been a government mandate to have them.

RayL

Reaction score
@Gold Duster, what do you plan to install? NOS, reproductions or something modern? Please let us know.

Gold Duster

Reaction score
Well, we bought aftermarket belts for the restoration. Turns out the owner changed his mind and only wants lap belts now. Thank you all for the help. Crisis averted!!

heminut

Reaction score
You will probably never wear them but they will at least look factory correct.
The engineers that came up with the shoulder belts failed miserably.
It must have been a government mandate to have them.
Yes, it was government mandate.

I never used the shoulder belt on my first 70 Cuda because it was such a PITA! When I did the new headliner (and carpet) in the 70 Cuda I have now I put an aftermarket rectractable three point harness in. The retractors are hidden inside the rear side panels. I used the 72-74 carpet to get away from the hump that was molded into the 70 carpet for the under carpet retractors.

RayL

Reaction score
@heminut can you provide details on what you installed? I'm looking to do the same.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Here is an option for shoulder belts from Wesco Performance. They manufacture the belts for XV Engineering. You can buy direct from Wesco.
I purchased mine from XV Engineering and they matched the Wesco pricing. Very economical and available in about 30 different colors.
Below details needed to order the correct setup for an E-Body with buckets using the factory bolts for all connections. No modifications.

3-point-retractable-seat-belts-with-long-sash-guide-44.jpg
11 inch Bucket Seat End.jpg
Seat Belt Floor Mount between Seat & Console.JPG

Retractable Seat Belt Top Mount.JPG
Seat Belt Floor Mount.JPG

RayL

Reaction score
@MoparCarGuy - thanks for the links. I had looked into the belts from XV Racing a while ago, but never pulled the trigger on the purchase. They are now showing as sold out. Good to know these are available at Weso.

Anyone else have a set of belts to recommend? I'm more interested in safety than authenticity...

heminut

Reaction score
These are the ones I used;

3 Point Retractable Seat Belt with Push Button Buckle

I used the 12" sleeved buckle with the 8" drop in the 140" length. I welded mounting tabs inside the rear side panels and bolted the retractor to the tab with the retractor mechanism facing towards the inside of the car, there isn't room to put it in facing towards the inside of the quarterpanel.. I then ran the belt and drop hanger up through the hole in the side panel that originally had the ashtray in it. I used the seatbelt guides that originally went on the carpet in the 70 Cuda applications to finish out the opening.
seatbelt.jpg

You have to cut the guide to get it around the belt. I used a Stanley knife with a new blade to cut it and once mounted you can barely see the cut. If you look close in the picture you can just barely see it. If you cut it with any kind of a saw you will have a visible gap when it's mounted. The guides have a rounded boss for the screws on the underneath side that you have to file back a bit to fit the ashtray hole. I used some sheetmetal speednuts from the hardware store with black screws to secure the guides to the opening in the side panel.

The other end of the belt bolts to floor where the factory retractor originally bolted. You definitely need the 140 " belts and the 8" drop. I would have went with a 12" drop if it was available, the shoulder part sits kind of close to your neck with the 8" drop, pretty much the same as the factory shoulder belt did. You will probably want to flip the belt where it goes through the drop bracket so the belt lays right in use. I did this by folding the belt diagonally and pulling it through the slot. It's tight but it can be done.

This works great if you want a modern three point system. It kind of hangs in the way of passengers getting in and out of the back seat but I rarely have anyone riding back there anyway.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I did not upgrade the rear seat belts. It is rare for anyone to ride in the back of my Cuda. :D

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Additional pictures of the retractor and installation for the WESCO seat belts (LINK).
WESCO Seat Belt Retractor P3302356.jpg
P3302415 - Copy.jpg

Back