• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

car wont start after cruising around

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
This has happened to me about 3 times now. After driving around for an hour or more if I make a stop and shut my car off when i`m ready to go again I turn the key and get nothing,if I wait around 5 minutes or so it starts right up. I have tried putting it in neutral suspecting the neutral safety switch may be the culprit but it didn`t make a difference. This has only happened on warmer days could it be a ballast resistor getting ready to fail?

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Yes I have a set of Dougs headers the wires should be away from them.I will inspect them and check connections just to make sure. I have never smelled any wires burning.

moparleo

Reaction score
They don't have to smell. When electrical wiring or connections get hot,they generate a lot of resistance in the circuit. This will in turn not allow enough voltage to pass thru to the starter and will act like a low battery until the wiring cools off. That is why if you wait a while it will start.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I agree most likely the starter is getting hot , it could be a bad relay but I doubt it

Back