• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Clarity on magnum heads and engine.

Ohiowoodchuck

Reaction score
I've been researching cylinder heads and such for a little while. People say the magnum heads and block are a good choice. Is the magnum heads and block only available on the 89-92 360's or I've seen some say you can go up to 2007. I'm a little confused because everything unread gives different years.

rklein71

Reaction score
This site has a ton of info on magnum swaps. By the way, I put a 5.9 magnum in my 71 Barracuda, stroked to 408. (no title) magnumswap.com

IMG_0799.JPG

gzig5

Reaction score
The 88-92 360 motor gives you a block set up for a hydraulic roller cam , but the block is still drilled to oil LA style heads through the rocker shafts. They stopped drilling the oil passages in the 93 MY motors and the heads were oiled through the pushrods and used pedestal rockers. First true Magnum I guess. Guys like the interim motors for the easy application of a hydraulic roller with readily available (and more durable at high RPM?) LA heads.

Ohiowoodchuck

Reaction score
So are you still able to run a hydraulic roller after 93. Of course you will have change pushrods.

DrEamer

Reaction score
So are you still able to run a hydraulic roller after 93. Of course you will have change pushrods.

All Magnum engines run hydraulic roller cams. Magnums ran from 5.2 (318) 1992-2003, and 5.9(360) 1993-2003. As mentioned, there were some 360 LA blocks that ran the hydraulic roller. Some of the early Magnum blocks had provisions for both LA, and Magnum oiling, so you can use either head. You just need to use the correct cam oiling for whatever you choose to go with. The one down side to Magnum heads is that there are limited intakes, but there are options to fix that. Engine Quest and I believe Indy build heads that have the LA intake provisions, or someone like Hughes can drill the Magnum heads to do the same. Also, Trick Flow Specialties new small block head can be used on both a LA, or Magnum engine.

Back