• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Complete Dash Re-assembly

maugrego

Reaction score
What is the order to put all the main parts of the dash back into the car ie steel structure ,dash pad , instrument cluster assy, left side switches assy wood grained IP bezel assy or does it need to go all back together on a bench then re-installed as an assy I didnt take it apart and the frame is allready back in with no guts whats the best procedure at this point to complete my reassembledge the cluster is out for restoration now the windshield has been installed allready I guess my question is it possible to put it back together one piece at a time and put the top dash pad on last thanks for any help greg

rklein71

Reaction score
On Graveyard Cars, the dash goes in as a complete unit, dash pad and all. I am currently working on my 71 Barracuda dash and plan to do the same. Just read your post closer, with the windshield in place, it is a little tricky, as there are five or so bolts on the backside of the dash that are real close to the windshield. Might have to get creative to tighten them up.
Rod
IMG_3877.JPG

maugrego

Reaction score
On Graveyard Cars, the dash goes in as a complete unit, dash pad and all. I am currently working on my 71 Barracuda dash and plan to do the same. Just read your post closer, with the windshield in place, it is a little tricky, as there are five or so bolts on the backside of the dash that are real close to the windshield. Might have to get creative to tighten them up.
RodView attachment 35078[/QUOTE
RodView attachment 35078
I saw that episode on Graveyard cars too unless someone knows differently, I will probably back up and start over on the bench and reinstall as a unit. I just thought it seems strange you have to pull the complete dash to replace say the fuel gauge

maugrego

Reaction score
I saw that episode on Graveyard cars too unless someone knows differently, I will probably back up and start over on the bench and reinstall as a unit. I just thought it seems strange you have to pull the complete dash to replace say the fuel gauge

71Plym

Reaction score
IMG_0341.JPG
I reassembled mine, including the dash pad, on the bench and then installed as a unit. Then reconnect electrical, heater cables, etc. and you are done (but easier said than done). Windshield will add a challenge.
Instrument cluster can be removed without pulling dash. So that is how a fuel gauge is replaced. Or you can work under the dash.

Last edited:

maugrego

Reaction score
Does the dash pad have to go on last It seems it trims out and covers up alot of the instrument cluster and wood grain covers So it would have to come off for any cluster work correct ???

Reaction score
I've done it both ways. Putting on the dash pad and getting the retaining nuts onto the dash studs is a challenge, as the having the instrument cluster out is a must. There is room to put the dash retaining bolts in the defrost ducts with the windshield in, I just used a long1/4" extension with a flex socket. Put the assembley together on the bench then put it in. Make sure the steering column is out as well. Get a buddy to help, that will make it easier. The assembly will pivot on the two side bolts and help to hold in the proper location. Good luck

maugrego

Reaction score

maugrego

Reaction score
I've done it both ways. Putting on the dash pad and getting the retaining nuts onto the dash studs is a challenge, as the having the instrument cluster out is a must. There is room to put the dash retaining bolts in the defrost ducts with the windshield in, I just used a long1/4" extension with a flex socket. Put the assembley together on the bench then put it in. Make sure the steering column is out as well. Get a buddy to help, that will make it easier. The assembly will pivot on the two side bolts and help to hold in the proper location. Good luck
Thank You I think I will Pull the frame back out a assemble it all on the bench

rklein71

Reaction score
I would spend an hour and put together a 2x4 stand, so much easier than trying to roll it around on a bench or tabletop.
img_3877-jpg.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
It is possible to replace the pad with the windshield in, but I do not think you can access all the dash frame screws ; I replaced a dash pad on a Barracuda with A/C... complete pain!, had to pull the A/C unit. There are about 11 PAL nuts that hold the dash pad to the frame. It is very difficult to reach those with all the components in place. Think of it, at the factory they did not have some guy lying on the floor for an hour trying to piece it together... removing the windshield and putting it in as a unit is your easiest option, in my opinion.

Back