• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

confusion on hood latches for challengers

ogre

Reaction score
I have a part, it fits between the front fenders above the grille and has a hood latch mechanism on it. Its not the hood latch assembly with the spring that mounts vertically. I saw pictures of it on a 71 Challenger but so far never on a 70. So the question is: Is this for both years or is it a change for 71 as an added safety feature? I thought maybe it isn't used on an RT due to the hood pins but it sure looks like you would want it there for strength. It even has the indents where there are notches in the fenders.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There are 2 latches , the steel round bar that snaps into the vertical spring latch & the safety hook that hooks to the plate on top in front of the rad , the hook was different for 70 , 71 & 72-74 but all used the hook except the T/A hood cars ,. 70 just had a flat plate to operate the hook as it was open above the grille , 72-74 had a rod to the front of the hood to pull the hood back , 71 was unique as well .

marks ebody

Reaction score
l am with Challenger 6P I believe it’s 71 Upper header panel that bolts to both fenders and with push clips hold the grill on.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
OK! I can't take it.Here is a 70 and 71 if this is what you are referring to.

20170909_113213.jpg

20200814_213106.jpg

ogre

Reaction score
Thats it, the bottom picture. So only for a 71. The 70 only uses the vertical support that is in the catalog. Well thats great another mystery solved. I will probably clean them up and post them for sale since I don't need them. BTW, that is a nice looking engine compartment on the 70 picture.

ogre

Back