• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Convertible top

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody has attempted to install a new top or have you all hired it out?
I'm thinking about it although I know the right thing to do.
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Yes. It is a real pain. I would take it in if you know of a good shop. Do you have the glass window?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yes. It's an Electron brand. I'm tempted to give it a shot. There's a guy that my circle of friends has been using for years but he's retired and no longer physically capable of doing them any more. I spoke with him the other day and he said he'd be happy to answer questions and maybe be around to talk me through it/supervise. He did say that an E body is relatively easy as tops go, with an emphasis on relatively...

robert power

Reaction score
just did my own top last week.never tried one before .you can do it .year one tops have small holes that help you to get started .they line up pretty close to the bolts that hold the rear of the top to the quarters and the trunk area.

Attachments

• rob power.pdf
    254.2 KB · Views: 350

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I appreciate your reply, welcome to the site from the Motor City! How long did it take you? Did you have help? Any tips or tricks? Did you remove the old one or was it already removed? Tack strips give you any troubles?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Before you take the old one off measure bow height (rear). Bow height is important; too much and the top will bubble at highway speeds; too little and you will tear the glass window frame.

robert power

Reaction score
thanks for the welcome.it took about five or six hours by myself.a little bit of a pain at the rear tack strips because of the three separate pieces.but like i said the small dimples that year one puts in the material helps .as for the rear bow i didn't move mine from the original place so there was no issue.

robert power

Reaction score
remember the cooks convertible from graveyard cars.there are some wrinkles because of the top being boxed that have to be worked out.probably when the weather gets warm out in the sun.mine is getting better by the day.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have a NOS top that has been stored properly over the years. I have no idea what it will be like to install.

robert power

Reaction score
not sure about yours ,can only tell you what i ran into with mine.i have a year one top with a glass window.it looks like a vinyl roof kind of material not the pinpoint type.

ramenth

Reaction score
Used to nail 'em out, start to finish, in about 2-3 hours and that was replacing the tack strips and weatherstripping. Been awhile since I've done one, but I can pretty much bet it's like falling off a bike.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Used to nail 'em out, start to finish, in about 2-3 hours and that was replacing the tack strips and weatherstripping. Been awhile since I've done one, but I can pretty much bet it's like falling off a bike.
When you coming up?, I'll buy the pops!

ramenth

Reaction score
When you coming up?, I'll buy the pops!

Matt, you know if we lived closer I'd be right there.

There are a few tricks to the trade that are easy enough. The first rule to follow, is where the top glues down, don't use spray tack (along the header and where it tucks under the weatherstripping for the glass). Get to an automotive upholstery shop and have them sell you a bit of actual top glue.

Put the top up about half way when you string the header and before you staple the bow and put the glue on for the weatherstripping. Pull tight on the header when it's up, put your glue on, and wrap around the header, then staple. Put the top down. That'll stretch the top in the down position where you shouldn't get wrinkles. Then put the top down. It'll be a little tight to begin with and you'll more than likely have to pull the top down to get it to latch, but don't let it worry you. It's part of the process. Now you can staple the bow and put the glue on the edges.

Trim as necessary.

Oh, I failed to mention, it's a good idea to mark the center line of the top and the center line of the tack strips, too.

ramenth

Reaction score
You're welcome, Matt.

Like I said, it's been a while since I've done one and I had to stop and think about it for a moment. If I had it in front of me, it would be one of those things where the mind shuts off and the body goes to work.

Back