• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Converting back to 4 speed

Cmuller0420

Reaction score
I’m looking to convert my 74 challenger back to a 4 speed. The last owner converted to a 904 auto.

he kept the shifter, linkage, pedal assembly. I found a bellhousing and have a newer aluminum cased OD a833

will that bolt right up or are the 70-74 transmissions any different?

I’ve also sourced a rebuilt older a833 but meant for a B-body - would that need a new tail shaft?

rklein71

Reaction score
OD 833 have a larger bearing retainer, there are several sizes through the years. Need to make sure you have compatible bellhousing to bearing retainer. E bodies have a different shifter location than a B body with some tailshafts having the ability to bolt on the shifter plate to either location. Brewers is a good source for parts and info.

gzig5

Reaction score
The B body trans will work with a new tail shaft housing with the dual mount and maybe shaft. Brewers, as mentioned. Cost is about $270 in parts to switch if I remember correctly. You may be able to canibalize the tail shaft from the OD trans if that would make sense.
A non-OD bellhousing can be opened up to work with an OD trans but you have to adapt the fork pivot to a new location. I have both setting on the shelf. Aluminum case OD with modified 1971 bellhousing and a standard 70 A833 with the matching bell housing. I found the OD first and then tripped into the standard one. I'll try them both and see which I like better.

Back