• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Converting from 2 Speed to 3 Speed Wipers

1969VADart

Reaction score
I believe my 72 Challenger wiper motor is a 2-speed motor. The motor sticks straight out vs. being turned to the side like I believe the 3-speed motors are turned. My question is can I simply get a 3-speed wiper motor to install in my car and if so what modifications might need to be made? I am replacing the dash harness with a complete new wiring harness already. Anyone else make this change? Thanks.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I just did. You need the switch, the transmission or arms that live inside the cowl, the Motor and correct lever that attaches to the transmission from the Motor. I think I have a spare lever for an E-body. So in other words it's completely different...

1969VADart

Reaction score
I just did. You need the switch, the transmission or arms that live inside the cowl, the Motor and correct lever that attaches to the transmission from the Motor. I think I have a spare lever for an E-body. So in other words it's completely different...

Even the wiper linkage inside the cowl is different? And the lever arm that connects the motor to the linkage is different too? I assume the switch can be easily replaced.

1969VADart

Reaction score
Thanks. I dealt with Kim from Passion4Mopars before. She hooked me up with the rebuild on my 3 speed wiper motor on my Dart.

tonysrt

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work to gain one speed on the wipers. Is it possible to use a rheostat to alter speed? I know 3 speed wiper motor is a little pricey plus the arms and not to mention laying on your back under the dash. The pain of such little gain.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Do you want to know the reason I did the conversion?
Get ready for it.....I hate the look of the 2 speed motors.:D

tonysrt

Reaction score
I guess everybody has a reason for what they do. Sometimes not the best answer.

1969VADart

Reaction score
Do you want to know the reason I did the conversion?
Get ready for it.....I hate the look of the 2 speed motors.:D

I'm not going to lie, this is one of the reasons I am considering the swap. I like the wiper motor with polished body that tilts to the side (3 speed) vs. that ugly, straight black wiper motor (2 speed). Maybe not the most functional reason to do the swap but if I'm going to spend a pile of money in a project I want it to look good. I haven't fully committed to this swap yet. Far more important things to worry about right now.

tonysrt

Reaction score
We buy these cars because we love them and love to work on them. We try to improve on them as much as we can. I converted my gen 2 hemi to Fuel injection to help it run better. So we're always working on them. Does anybody see the light at the end of the tunnel when we have something so old and precious and always working to improve them..

DetMatt1

Reaction score
My old 2-speed was not original to the car and didn't park anyway so when I did the underhood resto and drivetrain rebuild I converted the standard to rallye instrument cluster and added the 3-speed system.

Back