• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cuda /Challenger door handles

RJH

Reaction score
Good day every-one. Are the outer door handles interchangable from Cuda"s and Challengers. A buddy wants a set of door handles from my Challenger for his Cuda

budascuda

Reaction score
They are different part numbers but have been incorrectly used interchangeably.
The handle's housing in Cudas is slightly curved out to follow the contour of the door, challengers are curved in.

RJH

Reaction score
Thanks for your info. I have a couple sets of challenger handles ill have to look at, and compare

moparleo

Reaction score
After 71 both cars used the Barracuda handle. Will fit no problem. As mentioned the early Challenger use a concave contour to match the curve of the door. Both are available now as Repros. from most Mopar parts suppliers.

RJH

Reaction score
Thanks to every body for their input .i havent learned this much stuff since grade school

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Challenger
0387A705-4CA6-4F47-9180-940004A3D10C.jpeg

RJH

Reaction score
I hope you didnt take the handle out of your car just for this picture. So later years handles are more flat, did they just not fit as well or did they flatten out the door?

moparleo

Reaction score
They don't hurt anything. They are just pot metal . If it hurt anything Mopar wouldn't have used them for both model cars for 3 years and thousands of cars. Most people are totally unaware of the difference.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
But they are using the flat ones on both not the ones that are curved out on the bottom.not sure the gasket would hide that. With both available Aftermarket I don’t think I’d put Challenger ones on a Cuda like RJH was referring to. Maybe the other way ‍

Last edited:

budascuda

Reaction score
I think I remember buying one of these "flat" handles for my challenger back in 1984/5, the plastic gasket didn't get pinched evenly by the flange around the handle, and I thought the handle didn't quite nestle well in its place either!
I took it back to the dealer and started a fight with somebody there! LOL, I was young and....

I bet when chrysler went for "one type fits all" for 72/74 handles , it was for keeping the accountants happy, it wasn't for keeping the "fit" correct.

I would still choose door handles for my cars based on the door contour, no matter what the year.

Back