• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Disc Brake Clips

Scott19_72

Reaction score
Hi! The disc brake swap is going well, an hour at a time in between work/wife/kid/Ducati distractions... I'll post a complete walkthrough when I'm done.

After a few days of browsing the forum, I'm seeing mixed opinions on whether or not to use these clips. They look like they keep the caliper pins from rubbing against the rubber bushing on the inside of the caliper at the very least, so I'd like to run them, but now I can't seem to find them. Anyone have a source for these or a decent reason NOT to use them?

clips.jpg

Thanks!

clips.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
a fully loaded rebuilt caliper should come with them , Wagner or Raybestos may have them too

moparleo

Reaction score
They are available from most Auto Parts stores, sold as a brake hardware kit. Don't use any of the so called anti-brake squeek chemicals. Every thing must be CLEAN. The factory never uses any of these liquids,gels or sprays. Make sure to thoroughly clean off any rust or dirt from any areas that make contact. If you must use a lube, make it a dry lube that will not attract dirt or dust. Also use new brake fluid from a sealed container and thoroughly flush out the old, contaminated fluid. Brakes are the most important system on your ride.

Scott19_72

Reaction score
Clean and dry... Thanks, will do. There is some kind of rubber preservative (it looks more like dielectric) clear grease on the caliper bushings but I won't be using any of the other anti-squeals unless the pads give me noise, then I might go back in and do a little bit of stop-squeak between the back of the pad & caliper. We'll see how it goes without first though.

The two clips pictured actually came with one of my rebuilt calipers (bought them years ago) and the other one didn't have them. Every parts store I've been to (4 different ones) so far has the spring and bushing kit (typically by Carlson), but no one seems to have these clips. Even YearOne refered me to Steven's Performance (who's still getting back to me).

Unrelated, but maybe one of you could weigh in: The hub/rotors I'm using were the cheap ones (bought years ago) and I'm curious if you've ever heard of anyone getting a badly machined hub before.

The bearings seat perfectly on the spindle, but even when completely tightened (without backing the nut off at all) I still have about 1/4 inch of play on the pass side hub assembly. I'm picking up a different (higher quality) hub/rotor tonight to try but it really threw me when I had it all bolted up and couldn't get the assembly to seat right. I even picked up new bearings to make sure mine were good and they fit the same way. Its like the races & hub assembly are slightly oversized. Bizzare right?

moparleo

Reaction score
FYI Did you get the spindles from a 1972 and down or a 1973 and up? The reason I ask is because in 1973 Mopar went to a 1 piece rotor that is about 60% less expensive than the 1972 and down. If they are the older ones, I would try to sell them and use the money to get 1973 and up spindles,rotors and calipers. You will find that not only are the newer disc parts less expensive, they are also more readily available.

Scott19_72

Reaction score
FYI Did you get the spindles from a 1972 and down or a 1973 and up? The reason I ask is because in 1973 Mopar went to a 1 piece rotor that is about 60% less expensive than the 1972 and down. If they are the older ones, I would try to sell them and use the money to get 1973 and up spindles,rotors and calipers. You will find that not only are the newer disc parts less expensive, they are also more readily available.

Spindles came from a 73 Satellite. You are VERY right: rotor/hubs are around $50 out the door. FYI - you CAN in fact get poorly machined (offshore - should have known better) hubs. I picked up a new one after the first one was bottoming out and still had play when I tightened it up. The domestically made one tightened up perfectly.

I am uncomfortable with how little room I have between the shock bolt & hose mounts. Gonna try a banjo bolt type from 73 B-Bodies this weekend & hopefully it will give me enough length and clear the suspension. :icon_pray:

Back