• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

disc brake prop valve question

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
I have a 71 Challenger, it originally had front drum brakes on it. I had a 73 parts car that I took the disc brake setup off of. I even took the prop valve too. I have noticed that inline tube and right stuff are remanufacturing the brass 70-71 2 piece prop valves. Can I use this 73 prop valve or is there something I am missing here. I don't care about numbers matching as I have already taken a small block car and put a big block in it. I just wantot make sure I can use the prop valve I already have. I actually have 2 of them.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
As long as the 73 is a good unit, I know of no reason why you can't use it.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Wilwood makes a 5 line adjustable prop valve now with 2 lines in & 3 out just like the facfotry ones but it is adjustable , that would be what I would use if you want to replace the prop valve you have

burdar

Reaction score
If you decide to replace the valve, DO NOT throw it out. The reproduction valves have had many issues. The originals are going to be hard to find.

Scott19_72

Reaction score
I say give the OEM piece a shot, I just finished the same swap on my 72 YESTERDAY (FINALLY!) and I hate the Willwood. The aluminum is so light it may as well be made out of butter & I'm having sealing issues. Part of that is because I went stainless on the lines and they're so rigid they're forcing tension on the threads, but still. I'm going to have to replace it right away ( its weeping on the RO side) and I wish it was tougher.

Scott19_72

Reaction score
Word. I'm never doing that again. I haven't sworn and thrown tools in quite a while!

P.S. Inline Tube actually freakin' made my lines PRE-FLARED with the 3/8-24 fittings on the distribution block side that you need to mount a Willwood proportioning valve. Call them if you're attempting a swap with an aftermarket valve and give them sizes. They're like the Chuck Norris of brake line distributors.

moparmaniac10

Reaction score
Looks like i'm using the 73 prop valve. Too many issues going aftermarket. Thanks guys.

azmoparboy

Reaction score
I too have had troubles with the after market valve as well. I get an old one off of ebay for $100, then I rebuilt it as good as I could with O-rings from a guy, http://www.MuscleCarResearch.com/, +1 (571) 262-1612. So far so good with the overhaul on the valve. When I did the overhaul, the inside was very dirty. This guys web site is a great help. He has "how to's" as well on his site. Take a look at it, the valve is not that hard to work on. Good Luck

72barracuda

Reaction score
I have the same situation. I have not been able to find a replacement for the OEM prop valve, inline tube suggested I try to make the old one work. All my new stainless lines are designed around the stock '73 system. Has anyone tried to use one of the GM prop valves?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Willwood makes a 5 line adjustable prop valve , I would have used it in my car if i had known about it at that time

jeffv21

Reaction score
I would be interested in buying the other, if it is not pitted inside. Thanks

Yatzee

Reaction score
OE prop valve will work just fine. If your ambitious you can disassemble it to inspect for cleanliness. to check the
valve for proper operation put a test light on the terminals in static condition. If the bulb lights it's stuck internally.
Pics are online, just Google ( or whatever ) "proportioning valve" images.

azmoparboy

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old but this is a very hard item to get. I know one of you guys need this, it's a NOS 73/74 B/E proportional valve, new on eBay. If I needed this valve I'd buy it myself biut don't. Hope this helps one of my fellow E body lovers

Back