• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Do I need a 26" radiator?

stu in wichita

Reaction score
My car doesn't have A/C, so I plan to install a Classic Auto Air system. It's a '74 Challenger with 318/auto and 22" radiator.

I've heard that factory A/C cars all had a 26" radiator, so I'm wondering if I should change to the larger size - it needs to be replaced anyway.

Do these cars tend to run hot? We get 100+ degrees frequently in Kansas, so I want plenty of cooling capacity. If I go with the larger size, what else is involved? Can I modify the radiator support or will I need to replace it too? Will I need a shroud?

My car isn't a candidate for an accurate restoration anyway, so I don't mind modifying it. The important thing is to make it work well.

Thanks for any suggestions.
-Stu

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
You may get by with a 22" ,only one way to find out , but if you are replacing it anyway I would step up .
The shroud is the most important part , it allow the fan to pull air through the whole surface & much more efficiently so even with a shroud the 22" may be enough .
if you want to do it correctly the sheel metal part of the support is available to change to 26"

moparleo

Reaction score
You also might want to go with a pusher type electric fan. Almost all current vehicles use them. They will not draw any horsepower to operate other than a slight alternator draw. They move air all the time, not just when you are moving. They can programed to go on and off with a simple temp switch. Most radiator manufacturers recommend them and sell radiator/electric fan combos.

HemiMeech

Reaction score
It gets relatively hot in the summer where you live, so I would tend to lean towards the 26" since you're adding AC. The Challenger has a very small/narrow grill opening which adds to the problem. Bigger is better in this case and for your application.

Meech

stu in wichita

Reaction score
That all makes sense. There's no such thing as too much cooling capacity.

Thanks for the info and ideas.
-Stu

Back