• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Does anyone have a picture/diagram of the proper e-brake cable routing for the 1973 Challenger?

RayL

Reaction score
Just getting going on this project and thinking safety first.

The car is missing a few parts on the emergency brake setup. The foot pedal and related cable is there. The rear drum cables and rear connectors are there. Nothing in between. Looks like I need the intermediate cable and a few assorted parts based on this YearOne item (Click Here). But a few good images showing the proper routing would be a great help!

I think when the car was converted from a small block automatic to a big block 4 speed the exhaust pipes may have been in the way of the cables and they were 'deleted'...

I will probably go for the rear disk brake conversion in the future, but will get started with the drum brake setup for now.

Thanks to all who reply.
RayL

moparleo

Reaction score
Do your self a favor and save paying the extra for rear disc brakes. Totally not necessary on these cars.
Front disc which was standard on 72 and up and properly adjusted rear drums are all you need for any normal street driving.
Page 149 of your Factory Service Manual has the diagrams for e-brake routing.

Iguana

Reaction score
I found this picture of my 72 that was still up on the site of the place I bought it. Doesnt cover all of what you want; but maybe it'll help a little.

Attachments

• 1972-dodge-challenger (1).jpeg
    1972-dodge-challenger (1).jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,736

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
Unless you’re doing some serious Motorsport activities, rear discs aren’t necessary. Nice to have, but not needed unless you want to blow some stimulus cash.

RayL

Reaction score
Do your self a favor and save paying the extra for rear disc brakes. Totally not necessary on these cars.
Front disc which was standard on 72 and up and properly adjusted rear drums are all you need for any normal street driving.
Page 149 of your Factory Service Manual has the diagrams for e-brake r

Page 149 of your Factory Service Manual has the diagrams for e-brake routing.
No immediate plans to do the conversion, but I do have some vague memories of wet drum brakes and looping it on a bend... Disk brakes do behave better in the wet.

Where would I come by a Factory Service Manual?

RayL

Reaction score
I found this picture of my 72 that was still up on the site of the place I bought it. Doesnt cover all of what you want; but maybe it'll help a little.
This is exactly what I wanted to see. I didn't know the intermediate cable routed over the exhaust, under the trans tail shaft, through the short guide that hooks into the hole on the bottom of the trans support. Thanks! Looks like I need to buy the complete set of components, but it'll be worth it.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If your Challenger is a 70 which has a unique system , 71-74 use the same system , also Cuda systems will not work as the wheelbase is 2" shorter . in 70 there is a single intermediate cable running only down the driver side with a balance bracket connecting the intermediate cable to the 2 cables to the wheels .
The 73 system used a connector form the front cable to the intermediate cable , then the intermediate cable does a loop from each rear wheel cable with a hanger on the right front corner of the cable & connects to each wheel cable.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
1621814800264.jpeg

View attachment 82680
1621814970311.jpeg

This car is a 1971 11 70 build.passenger side hooks to cross member.driver side the front cable can be seen hanging over the pipe,connects in the same manner as pass side. s hook connects to hole in the tunnel. I think I'll check . thought I had a picture of it complete. The front cable is different for 72 up. check you lay out to find out what you need. some center cables are different. I can get more pictures later. hope this helps.

RayL

Reaction score
Thanks Challenger RTA. That is a nice looking undercarriage. I almost forgot to look at the cables. So, there is a difference between the images I've seen so far on where the short hook rod is located. That one will be dealers choice - take the best position to avoid interference with shifter rods / exhaust pipes / drive shafts / etc... My order from Inline Tubes should arrive tomorrow. I'll post back once I get everything installed and working.

Attachments

• 2021-05-24_194834.jpg
    2021-05-24_194834.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 326

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Thanks for the complement. I ordered ss parking cables and copper coil nickle fuel and brake lines from them and other connectors. I didn't receive the long hook. I didn't check order for weeks so it was to late. other then that they are good to deal with. I got other cop-nic line else were,also cheaper good quality too. Some people hook the s hook to the cross member. probably because the floor pan hole is gone or they seen it hooked there. if it's gone weld a washer there. I hook to the hole in the floor pan it keeps it higher. I believe thats where it goes. Brakes are important Good luck!

RayL

Reaction score
Thanks for the image. That is the original position, but I'll have to wait and see if that position works with my exhaust. I've got the parts, just need to find the time.

Back