• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

DOOR mirror glass removal

70Hardtop

Reaction score
HI, regarding the mirror glass in a Rallye mirror. Does anyone know how the glass is bonded onto the swivel plate? Obviously I don't want to break the glass. I need to get inside to fix the body. Anyone done it successfully before or know what type of glue or whatever is used? I was thinking of carefully heating up the area, to something like a very hot day,,, and whatever bonding stuff is in there would be softened up enough to carefully pry the glass away. That's what i'm thinking, but anyone who has done it would be helpful. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have never been able to get one out without breaking it , solvent or heat may help

Last edited:

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Ok thanks for your input. Looks like no one else has tried this before. Must be some people who have at least replaced the broken glass, as these are readily available. So they must have removed the broken glass from the base somehow. Oh well, looks like very carefully for me.

scottie43

Reaction score
I have done this on GM mirrors. Boil in water which releases the glue and you should be able to carefully remove the glass.

Avalanche

Reaction score
If you put a heat gun to the glass on a low setting it will loosen the glue enough to remove the glass.
It's heald in by 4 dabs of glue.
Take your time as not to heat it up too fast or it may crack.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Thanks Scottie and Avalanche - much appreciated! That has now confirmed my first idea and i will go ahead with it. Boiling is a good idea, because if you are careful, it heats everything up uniformly and slowly. I had not thought of boiling, i had only thought of using a heat gun, which i use for everything, but heat gun is definitely more risky due to uneven heating and hot spots etc, keeping the gun away from the glass enough, its always a little difficult to keep the gun away rather than closer. I actually used boiling water on my glove box hinge -it had been soaking in molasses and to get the last bits of sticky molasses out of the pin area which was very tight, i put in boiling water and let the bubbles rise up through the hinge pin.

thanks again.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I read on another site that someone use paint thinner to remove the glass. Just put the whole mirror in and the glue will release in about 24 hours.
I have never done this and don't know if it will affect the back silver coating of the glass. I WOULD ONLY TRY THIS AS A LAST RESORT!

Back