• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dutchman/Filler Panel Install

chally71e

Reaction score
I've been working on installing a new filler panel. I noticed that it seems to sit proud of the quarter panel by 1/4 or 1/8 or so.

I've not installed it yet but the quarters have not moved(on purpose) from the old dutchman. Wondering if I should slightly jack up the quarters though to make it flow across level?

rklein71

Reaction score
My dutchman panel set high relative to the quarter panel on the driver's side. I cut several slits in the flange on the dutchman panel. This allowed me to gently press down on the panel to make it flush and then welded it in. I welded the slits together as well. The pic is the final look.

IMG_3268.JPG

chally71e

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip/clarification. I was thinking the quarter to that area is supposed to be as flush as a guy can get it.

chally71e

Reaction score
Should it be installed/plug welded from the package tray flange side aka inside, or through the outside filler panel? I know it was spotwelded from the factory from the outside, but I'm wondering since I'm plug welding if I should do it opposite so as to hide them. I can also make sure the flange is very tight that way.

chally71e

Reaction score
Figured I'd post up for search results. So i learned my aftermarket panel is like .5 mm off in side to side length compared to the factory one. It also sat proud of the quarters. It kept bothering me, so I finally really dug into it. The mating flange on the qtr ends of the new dutchman/upper trunk panel was contacting the qtr flange. IE it was radiused wrong where it is spot welded together. I recut those flanges 1/8 or 1/4 " or so, and it now fits perfect. Not sure what I am going to do on the length. I may make one side perfect and leave the other to be filled with more seam sealer, or fill them both with a slightly wider beam of seam sealer.

cuda joe

Reaction score
can;t you pull in the quarters to make the seam tight ? pictures will help

chally71e

Reaction score
can;t you pull in the quarters to make the seam tight ? pictures will help
Yeah I intend to do that, just heard mention of others say their aftermarket panels are too long, or too short so figured I'd post up my results too.

Today I played around with prying it left or right against the quarter and was able to get it dialed it. When it gets welded/clamped I bet it will be perfect.

Back