• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

E-Body Newbie

btceng

Reaction score
Recently acquired a 1972 Challenger for father/son project (son is 11 but a passionate Mopar enthusiast). We have been trying to find an e-body (70 Cuda his favorite) for a couple of years. Money and scarcity won out but we found a really nice 72 Challenger that is solid. Beginning the restoration now and would love advice from all of you.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site, We want pics and I can speek for all of us on that!!!. What is the first thing on the list that you and your son are going to tackle?

btceng

Reaction score
Not really up on the forum protocol but I'll try to figure it out as we go. We have pulled the interior to get a look at the floorpans, installed the Mopar Performance 284/384 Purple cam, converted to electronic ignition, Elderbrock carb, a little engine chrome, and starting a rust repair in the trunk/inner wheelhouse area. The car has a solid underneath and a good body. Currently, the roof skin has been replaced and we are trying to get the headliner and vinyl top installed. Still deciding on paint color (my son's choice is Sublime or Plum Crazy). I really like the classic look of red with black trim. Anything beats the original Honeydew in my opinion. Car is in a cream color now. What comes first the interior or exterior? Also, has a rallye hood and the original flat hood. Engine is a 318 with a slap stick. Don't know how to attach images yet.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
What comes first the interior or exterior? Don't know how to attach images yet.

I would do the exterior first, then the interior. If you do it the other way around the interior would get all dirty. If your just talking about painting or whatever, do the inside first, then the outside.

As far as attaching images, when you post something, scroll down, click "Manage Attachments" then click "Choose File" then click "Upload", you should be good to go. Just make sure the picture isn't to big or other wise it wont load or it will take forever.

btceng

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The interior is going to be relatively easy. No missing parts, except for the console compartment lid. I broke it my self trying to climb throught the window while trailering the car. The exterior has minor rust in the lower quarters. Haven't decided whether to replace or try the old bondo. Trying to get my nerve up to weld in a patch panel. I have all of the tools but not much experience. I've always been the help on projects but never the lead. So, the big reason for joining here to gather advice and inspiration from you experts.

HPIM6569.jpg

HPIM6571.jpg

HPIM6582.jpg

HPIM6584.jpg

pagilman

Reaction score
I would definately redo the engine compartment paint and take your time to detail under the hood before putting the engine back in. As far as color, i agree with u the tored red is beautiful with black trim. mine is sublime and i've had a plum car and if i would redo mine it would be red..... and welcome, enjoy you time with your son......

my ta 015.jpg

btceng

Reaction score
Absolutely awesome car. Exactly the finishes that I like. I bid on a wrecked 70 T/A a while back but could not make it work. Love the car. Thanks.

btceng

Reaction score
How taboo is a blacked out engine bay? Thought about doing the engine bay first and then driving a bit while we figure out the rest. It has a couple of rust bubbles around the drain holes on the firewall. I hope that is not a bad fix. Interior work fits in my budget but springing for the paint job isn't in the picture for a while. I do plan on priming myself and toyed with the thought of it being my first paint project. I also have a 1968 Firebird (don't tell anyone here) that I am planning on doing bolt by bolt. It is a much bigger project than this car. Probably going the restomod route with it. Enough about that. We are about Mopars here.

AlleyoopMgv

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The interior is going to be relatively easy. No missing parts, except for the console compartment lid. I broke it my self trying to climb throught the window while trailering the car. The exterior has minor rust in the lower quarters. Haven't decided whether to replace or try the old bondo. Trying to get my nerve up to weld in a patch panel. I have all of the tools but not much experience. I've always been the help on projects but never the lead. So, the big reason for joining here to gather advice and inspiration from you experts.

btceng, I've been restoring cars for over 23 years now,and I still learn new stuff all the time. One of my philosophy's is, if your not learning, your not trying hard enough. And two heads are better than one. Here's some I've restored.

And if you need any paint in the future let me know.

70_Blue_440_Challenger_RT_front.sized copy.jpg

e77b6dbba5_640.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0982_detail.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

sc005286fe.jpg

sc006356b1_detail.jpg

IMG_0692 copy 2.JPG

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Nice Alleyoop, never get sick of seeing those beautiful cars.
Btceng, don't do black under the hood, a total bowtie move!!. If you have the equipment to do it right, don't mess with the bondo, start practicing welding sheet metal, it's not all that difficult. Looks like a solid car.

btceng

Reaction score
I really got the Firebird to learn on. The Challenger came along sooner than I had planned. It seemed like such a good foundation that I had to get it. Alleyoop, Those cars are incredible. I am not scared of trying only scared of failing.....

ramenth

Reaction score
One of my philosophy's is, if your not learning, your not trying hard enough. And two heads are better than one.

Exactly, Alley. Seems like every project has it's own little quirks that none of the previous projects had.

I say, welcome aboard! Have fun with the project.

Back