• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electrical issues

Jimmy01

Reaction score
..so I have a few electrical issues on my '74 Challenger - before I chase around to much I just wanted to check if my alternator is a big enough capacity. (I posted this on another forum and one of the suggestions was that the alternator may have been to small)
-All my gauges and lights are dimming / going brighter at idle. - I haven't been over everything to check for bad connections / bad grounds yet (that will be my first thing to do) - just wanted to check first if my alternator is big enough.
-I have had the alternator and regulator looked at and it checked out fine.
-Can you tell from these photos what the alternator is??? Thankyou!

alt1.JPG

alt2.JPG

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Other than pretty I can not tell. I would get a colt meter and put on the terminal then see what the true amp output is. I would think the auto parts store is just a go or no go gauge. Remember everything is powered by the battery then your alt charges that sucker. So it does seem your alt is not keeping up with the demand or your battery is about to take poop

AUSTA

Reaction score
Have you checked your idle speed could be a bit low does it pick up with a bit of throttle

AUSTA

Reaction score
Try connecting a meter to the battery to measure voltage. ( Do all these tests at idle)
Then connect a piece of 6mm red from the Alternator output stud then touch to the positive on the battery if the voltage increases then the issue is in your power lead that goes through the dash & firewall plug then returns.
If the voltage does not increase try connecting a piece of 6mm from the alternator frame to the battery neg this will check the engine to chassis ground continuity

Back