• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine Oil

KennyCuda

Reaction score
I saw that Castrol makes this "Castrol GTX Classic 20W-50 Conventional Motor Oil,High Zinc & Ph,5 Qt" Has anyone used it? I was going to do a oil change and wanted to see if anyone recommends it

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
I saw that Castrol makes this "Castrol GTX Classic 20W-50 Conventional Motor Oil,High Zinc & Ph,5 Qt" Has anyone used it? I was going to do a oil change and wanted to see if anyone recommends it
I've not used it but probably would be fine, especially if you do regular oil changes @ 3000 miles. The high zinc is great for flat tappet engines. I use Pennzoil 20W-50 in my 440 to give me a little better oil pressure when warm. Living in a hot area of the country it helps!

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Thanks Rick I usually put the zinc additive in but this comes all done im gonna try it

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Thanks im gonna change the valve cover gaskets also I have the corkiness and the blue moroso ones which are better to use ? only want to do it once

Xcudame

Reaction score
I looked it up and it has the classic (pun intended) warning not to use the oil with modern cars with catalytic convertors, so this motor oil should work great for flat tappet cam cars!

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Thanks im gonna change the valve cover gaskets also I have the corkiness and the blue moroso ones which are better to use ? only want to do it once
I got my valve cover gaskets from Summit Racing. I have roller rockers with my solid roller cam so needed taller valve covers. The link is the set I used for my 440. I used a similar set with my Duster & small block 408 with OE style valve covers. They work great. You can pull the valve covers many times and they will continue to seal.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Great ill use the moroso and ill use the oil with the zinc 2 things I can cross off the list. Does anyone have a right side and left side pictures of the exhaust manifolds installed on a engine im putting my original exhaust back on and not sure of the placement of all the bolts and washers I think the kit I have gave me 10 washers? Also what should the torque be on them ? is there a sequence?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Kenny,
The 340 exhaust manifold hardware kit comes with ten (10) conical washers but the factory did not use the conical washers at the center short bolt locations. You can use conical washers at the center locations if you want to spread the load. The six (6) studs are used at all four corners plus the two sleeve bolt locations. That is why you have six studs in the kit. The coarse thread goes into the cylinder head. Use some sealer at the stud locations to prevent coolant leaks.
You will not need conical washers at the two factory sleeve bolt locations on the passenger side manifold.
You will install four (4) short bolts in the center locations, two (2) on each side (and use conical washers if you want).
The factory service manual info is below. The bolts and nuts are tightened from center outward and are 20 foot-pounds.
***Do not get confused by the service manual's step 3 as it is talking about the manifold-to-head pipe bolts which are a higher torque value.***

I added the last two pictures with stud/bolt locations for reference.

340 Exhaust Manifold Bolt, Sleeve, & Washer Kit.jpg

340 Exhaust ManifoldsInstallation Service Manual p11-15 (1).jpg
340 Exhaust ManifoldsInstallation Service Manual p11-15 (2).jpg

340 Exhaust ManifoldsInstallation Service Manual p11-15 (3).jpg

340 View with Passenger Exhaust Manifold.jpg
340 View with Driver Exhaust Manifold.jpg

340 Driver Side Exhaust Manifold.png
340 Passenger Side Exhaust Manifold.png

Last edited:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Great ill use the moroso and ill use the oil with the zinc 2 things I can cross off the list. Does anyone have a right side and left side pictures of the exhaust manifolds installed on a engine im putting my original exhaust back on and not sure of the placement of all the bolts and washers I think the kit I have gave me 10 washers? Also what should the torque be on them ? is there a sequence?
Note that the blue Moroso valve cover gaskets are designed for installations having a flat surface on both sides. Heads have a flat surface, but original valve covers do not. If you have aftermarket valve covers that have a flat surface where it comes into contact with the gaskets, you're golden. Anyone tried the blue gaskets with stock valve covers? I have a set of these gaskets, but didn't use them because of this. The really nice thing about the blue Moroso ones are that then can be reused over and over again.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Note that the blue Moroso valve cover gaskets are designed for installations having a flat surface on both sides. Heads have a flat surface, but original valve covers do not. If you have aftermarket valve covers that have a flat surface where it comes into contact with the gaskets, you're golden. Anyone tried the blue gaskets with stock valve covers? I have a set of these gaskets, but didn't use them because of this. The really nice thing about the blue Moroso ones are that then can be reused over and over again.
I have used the blue Moroso gaskets on my 440 stock valve covers for years. No leaks or issues. Highly recommend them.
Our Terminator X (3).jpg

Back