• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fan clutch removal on 383

tomps

Reaction score
So I'm quite rusty and stumped a bit...sorry if this seems like a silly question. I'm pulling the 383 out of my '70 Challenger before it heads to the body shop for a winter repaint. Got a lot done today before my back decided enough was enough.

I removed the fan (4 bolts) from the backside of the clutch but not sure how to separate everything. It's been 25 years since I last pulled a motor (and that was a Ford) and I've never dealt with this clutch assembly. Is there a trick or special tool I need to keep the pulley from spinning?

Any help much appreciated :toothy6:

photocopy_zps894fd01b.jpg

photo-2_zps309ad1b0.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
Just go a little further and remove the 4 bolts which bolt the clutch to the pulley and water pump shaft. Then remove the clutch and fan as an assembly. The pulley can also come off now.

VeteranCosmicRocker

Reaction score
As already said. Usually, the fan/clutch is removed together by only removing the 4 pulley bolts. And if the belt is still on & tight, it's easier. You can chock the pulley with a small piece of wood to keep it from spinning (I've always used those wood door wedges). Hey, I've been doing this stuff over 40 years & I learn something new every day. Don't shy away from asking anything here, the people here are good people & knowledgeable.

tomps

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and advice.....I appreciate the knowledge and assistance! I'm not a restorer or mechanic, I just like to learn about stuff and try to see how it all works.

Like a rookie I had already removed all the belts. Can't loosen the 4 bolts without the pulley turning of course. I think I'll do as mentioned and remove the 4 bolts from the water pump shaft then deal with it on the workbench.

Thanks again for the input and support!

Back