• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Filler neck??

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
My 71 rt had a vent on it and wondering if all challengers were the same. Also my fuel sender was a single 5/16" when I pulled it. I ordered the same part and then I found 2 lines 5/16" going to the front. Can I eliminate the other one or do I need the sender with 2 lines.
Thanks for the help!

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
It seems to have gone to the air cleaner or something else. It was mounted to the top of the passenger inner fender. The hose was plugged with a bolt. I'm planning on using an aftermarket air filter.

Steve340

Reaction score
It is the vapor saver line then.
It went from the fuel tank vapor- liquid separator mounted in the trunk up to the crankcase air cleaner on the valve cover. This is the air inlet filter for the PCV system.
It is a explained in the factory service manual.
I think you should consider reinstating the system it actually works very well.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
The only thing in my trunk was a little 1/4" line that went to the fuel filler neck but looked like there was another hole in the boot from somewhere. I guess I need to get a hold of the layout and find out whats missing.
Definitely appreciate the information you have provided.
It is the vapor saver line then.
It went from the fuel tank vapor- liquid separator mounted in the trunk up to the crankcase air cleaner on the valve cover. This is the air inlet filter for the PCV system.
It is a explained in the factory service manual.
I think you should consider reinstating the system it actually works very well.

Steve340

Reaction score
I was under the impression all 1971 models used the tube style vapor saver in the trunk. This was different than 1970 - they do not have the line running to the front of the car, they use the vent tube from the filler neck dumping in to the chassis rail like you seem to have. My guess is if you have that line to the front of your car probably once had the 1971 on style venting system.
If your car had the vapor saver there will be a fairly large oval hole down near the wheel well on the right side as you look in the trunk.
Perhaps the trunk floor has been replaced if there is no hole - it would be pretty hard to miss.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Just a boot there with 1 - 1/4" line and maybe what looks like a previous tube hole but only the one tube. This is a January 12th build date which I imagine is why it's confusing me. Everything was original to the car and the sender had only 1 fuel line. Tank had none of the other 4 supposed vent lines. Locking gas cap. I already bought the new sender with 1 fuel line and same tank. My first renovation on an e body and I'm used to putting the same parts in that I took out but I want to make sure it is going to work right. Maybe I have a 70 setup. It's a 340 4 speed car too which I didn't think would have the separator.

Steve340

Reaction score
I am not sure what is going on with your car. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Mine is a 340 4 speed car built on November 12 1970 and it has the vapor separator and the 4 vent lines.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I am not sure what is going on with your car. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Mine is a 340 4 speed car built on November 12 1970 and it has the vapor separator and the 4 vent lines.
Sorry to bother but here's some pics that I just took. The 2nd line from the front went to a little access plate under the filler neck and vent boot. Maybe it will help. The original tank had no 4 vent setup and 1 fuel supply from the sender. I ordered a new single supply sender and the tank, being ordered for 71 came with the 4 vents. I got a mumbo jumbo bunch of mix matched parts and can't return the tank. Always something to screw up my progress.

IMG_20230228_161408797.jpg

IMG_20230228_161443441.jpg

IMG_20230228_161511549.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
I think your car once had the 4 vents and the vapor saver.
That bracket on the wheel well is what the tube clipped to.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I think your car once had the 4 vents and the vapor saver.
That bracket on the wheel well is what the tube clipped to.
Thanks for the info. Someone must have got rid of it which would explain why there were 2 lines to the front. Then installed the vent into the rail. That would mean the tank was replaced also since it had no vents. I guess I will plug the new tank vents and hope the filler vent will suffice. Valve covers and air cleaner is aftermarket now so it would be a lot to change all that out. I can't seem to find a riser tube anywhere. Must not be remanufactured by anyone.

Steve340

Reaction score
I think you are correct no reproductions.
They have come up for sale on this site second hand.

cuda joe

Reaction score
if you don;t vent it you need a vented gas cap
i would vent it to the front with the 3 nipple valve cover cap

Back