• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fitech Fuel Injection

MAC

Reaction score
I have the Fitech fuel system on my 72 440 challenger, couple days ago I had to replace the battery on the car so I had the kid at a name brand auto parts store install an optimum battery on the car, while I was inside paying for the battery the kid hooked the battery terminals up backwards causing my leads to start melting. Before I could get the terminals off the rubber melted off the positive wire running to the starter relay. Going forward I swapped the battery around to the correct position and hooked it up, now my fuel pump runs all the time whether the key is off or on it doesn't matter. I emailed Fitech and they told me I needed a new wiring harness going to the Fitech unit itself (ECU) is if I swap out the wiring will I need new seals gaskets o rings etc... when I open up the unit. Of course Fitech sent NO instructions or precautions needed to take before under going this procedure. Has anyone pulled a similar bone head stunt as this with a Fitech unit, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.....thanks

AUSTA

Reaction score
Yes did the same reverse battery the ECU blows before the fuse blows.
The wiring is part of the ECU so i guess they wound replace the whole ECU
Ordered 1 but haven't fitted the module as yet

MAC

Reaction score
I have learned a lesson from this, the kid was outside under the hood before I could stop him, the manager paid for the ECU but I'm afraid to open it not know what seals may not be capable of reseating once I open it up, difficult to talk to a human at Vitech to get a response to ….thanks guys

AUSTA

Reaction score
I have the Fitech fuel system on my 72 440 challenger, couple days ago I had to replace the battery on the car so I had the kid at a name brand auto parts store install an optimum battery on the car, while I was inside paying for the battery the kid hooked the battery terminals up backwards causing my leads to start melting. Before I could get the terminals off the rubber melted off the positive wire running to the starter relay. Going forward I swapped the battery around to the correct position and hooked it up, now my fuel pump runs all the time whether the key is off or on it doesn't matter. I emailed Fitech and they told me I needed a new wiring harness going to the Fitech unit itself (ECU) is if I swap out the wiring will I need new seals gaskets o rings etc... when I open up the unit. Of course Fitech sent NO instructions or precautions needed to take before under going this procedure. Has anyone pulled a similar bone head stunt as this with a Fitech unit, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.....thanks
What throttle body is it.
I just ordered a ECU complete with wiring for a go efi 800 8 injector $233 USD which i thought was reasonable not hard to fit
I asked him about a gasket & o ring kit he said all you need to replace was the map sensor o ring & it comes with the new ECU
Make sure you use a lubricant on the o rings to stop pinching & damage.

MAC

Reaction score
I have learned a lesson from this, the kid was outside under the hood before I could stop him, the manager paid for the ECU but I'm afraid to open it not know what seals may not be capable of reseating once I open it up, difficult to talk to a human at Vitech to get a response to ….thanks guys

MAC

Reaction score
Austa, thanks for the assist
my throttle body is the 600hp- 4 injector. The harness I bought was about the same price 230 - 240 I can't remember, but I did not find any O rings included in my packaging I will check again. If I have it looks as if I have a project to perform today.
thank you very much !!

John Rimel

Reaction score
Did you get it running? If it were me I would call the vendor who sold me the system. Explain what happened. Ask that the system be sent back to Fitec. If not I would call Fitec directly. Of course the auto parts store should pay.

Last edited:

MAC

Reaction score
John, I can run the car just fine. I pull the white fuse (fuel pump) when ever I shut it down so not to run the battery down, Once it's running she runs great I plan to change out the ECU tomorrow if at all possible.....thanks

John Rimel

Reaction score
John, I can run the car just fine. I pull the white fuse (fuel pump) when ever I shut it down so not to run the battery down, Once it's running she runs great I plan to change out the ECU tomorrow if at all possible.....thanks

sounds like the fuel pump relay. It’s allowing a direct and continuous 12 volts to the pump. Did your fuse-able links pop?

John Rimel

Reaction score
I would take the car to a shop that specializes in auto electric. They have tools that can track down gremlins. Again it’s on the auto parts store.

rklein71

Reaction score
sounds like the fuel pump relay. It’s allowing a direct and continuous 12 volts to the pump. Did your fuse-able links pop?

Yep, your relay should have a large lead directly from the battery to the relay and another large lead to the fuel pump. A smaller lead supplies power to the relay when the key is turned on which operates a solenoid switch that allows current from the battery to the fuel pump. Since it allows power to the fuel pump all the time, the relay has to be stuck in the shut position. Removing the fuse interrupts the power.

AUSTA

Reaction score
On power up the relay comes in then then ECU takes over to turn the fuel pump on & off as required if the FET inside the ECU goes shorted then it will run continuously same with the cooling fan control circuit.
If you change the relay & it still happens then it is likely the ECU is shorted i have repaired a few for people where they damaged the ECU due to overloading the Mosfet or IGBT mainly on the FAST ECU

rklein71

Reaction score
I choose a Holley Sniper, primarily because I heard it was difficult to get tech support wit FItech. Maybe tech support is better now. I called Holley a couple of times when doing my setup and had good tech support. Rod

IMG_4786.JPG

Back