• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Flip Gas Cap

7NT3RT

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for any help in advance.
I just bought a 73 Challenger and it has the twist off smooth gas cap, what do I need to do or can I even install the flip fuel cap easily?

burdar

Reaction score
I think the fliptop will just bolt up from the outside. I don't like the looks of them on the 72-74 cars but that's just my opinion. They were never offered from the factory in those years.

burdar

Reaction score
Yes, there is a smaller cap on the inside. Some cars came with locking gas caps under the fliptop cover.

7NT3RT

Reaction score
Thanks, I am ordering a set up from Year One unless there is a better supplier that someone could recommend

burdar

Reaction score
Year One is very expensive. They buy their parts from other manufacturers and mark the price way up. Then they hit you with huge shipping costs. There are many smaller companies that will give you beter customer servise and beter prices. The only advantage to Year One is that you can go to one place and get most of what you need. Personally, I like to shop around. Here are some companies that I have dealt with who I would recommend.

BE&A...R/T Specialties...Dale's Cuda Shop...Herbs Parts

For wiper motor restoration you can't find a beter person to send it to than Jules Daddio. I sent my booster to Booster Dewey. For carb restoration look at Harm's Auto. Resto Rick also has some good prodects and restoration servises like hood hinge restoration.

The only thing I plan on buying from Year One are new wiring harnesses. The company that makes the best harnesses has an exclusive contract with Year One.

burdar

Reaction score
Oh, one more thing...accually two more things. First, just so you are aware, some of the new quarter panels on the market have some issues with the gas cap area. IF the quarters on your car have been replaced, you may find that the fliptop gas door doesn't fit the greatest. I'm not a body man so I can't tell you what to do if you run into that situation.

Second, lets see some pictures of your car.

7NT3RT

Reaction score
Thanks, I do have aftermarket quarters. I will see how it fits when it gets here.
I will post pictures as soon as the weather clears up and I can back it out of the garage.
Car was restored in 2003 and appears to be a decent job. I will need more advice after I get into it a little further.
Thanks for all the leads...

Last edited:
Back