• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fluid everywhere

theshado

Reaction score
Pulled the '72 Barracuda out of storage, got it 3/4 way home before seeing smoke rolling out the back. Limped it home to find tranny fluid puking out the front of the 904's bel housing, spraying all under the bottom, and coating the exhaust. I'm guessing the front seal failed. Not the start to summer I was hoping for.

Rebuilding/replacing the tranny was on my eventual to-do list--last year I pulled the pan and found a few metal chunks--but I thought I'd have plenty of time to decide what I wanted since I'm intending on some engine upgrades.

My ultimate intention is to replace the current 318 with a street 340 or 360. I know 727 was paired with 340s, but I'm a fan of the 904, and think I would like to keep it. Or I had considered a 500/42RH for the extra gears. Again, I thought I'd have time to decide.

With that said... I need to drop the tranny much sooner than expected and have no idea of a reputable place to source one or have mine rebuilt and upgraded to handle a few extra ponies. Any suggestions around Indiana are welcome.

theshado

Reaction score
Managed to yank the trans last weekend. Tiny garage be damned!

No obvious damage to the front seal or tc, but it can’t be leaking from too many places. If I change the seals myself is there anything I need to watch out for? Or am I better off tossing it at a shop?

Swapping in a 500 would be ideal, but unfortunately that’s a bigger project than I currently have resources for. I think I’m going to prioritize just getting it back on the road for now.

Attachments

• CE2FB905-BDA9-4DA6-809E-D935E4EC38F7.jpeg
    CE2FB905-BDA9-4DA6-809E-D935E4EC38F7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
As you probably know. Remember to fill toque converter before installing.and pump notches line up so it goes in the whole way. Do you have an inch pound wrench? By chance did you check on parts available? Does the converter pump drive show where? I want to say it's part 311 gone bad.Fluid seepage out of the vent tube can sometimes be normal, but can also be caused by overfilling
or bad vent. Transmission seals can blow, or fail, for a variety of reasons. If a gasket has aged, and has not been serviced consistently, it can crack or break completely in certain areas, allowing fluid to escape. To worsen the situation of a worn gasket, the torque converter's pressure on the transmission fluid can blow out the seals as well, especially if the torque converter is malfunctioning. A faulty torque converter can prevent transmission fluid from being pressurized and propelled throughout a vehicle's transmission, a condition that can prevent transmission operation and function. //Pump leaks can only be repaired with the transmission out. Once it is out, it would be a good time to pull the pump and inspect the friction material in the front and rear clutch drums. Special slide hammers are needed for this operation but they are relatively inexpensive. Check the bushing that the converter hub rides on for excessive wear and replace the steel sealing rings on the reaction shaft support and the input shaft. The extension housing seal, speedometer gear seal, dipstick 0-ring and pan gasket are all relatively simple and inexpensive to repair even with the transmission still installed. Just some thoughts. you might not have any other problems.
9o4 break down.jpg

Last edited:

JKCuda

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my 904 mating to a 360. At this point, I wish I would've gone 727 but I didn't want to mess with the driveshaft and stuff. Parts for the 904 are harder to find and there's a lot less info out there about them from what I've seen so far. I'm getting by without too much issues, just wish I would've gone 727. I've got enough in the 904 now that 727 would've probably been smarter just for long term parts availability. Just my experience...

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Parts availability is a determining factor.In for a penny in for a pound.Sometime you just have to do it.Did you find what was leaking? You would have to consideri buying a used 727 and rebuilding.Or buying a remanuaftured.What would that cost? You have to run the numbersThanks for sharing your experience.

theshado

Reaction score
Update

I ended up opting to have the trans rebuilt and decided I might as well upgrade some internals at the same time since I aim to increase power later. I managed to get CRT to do the work and he got it back more quickly than expected, which was appreciated.

Yesterday I was able to get it reinstalled… only to have the exact same problem!
Pulled it all apart again today and decided to air pressure test the torque converter —which, in hindsight, I should have done the first time! Lesson learned. And wouldn’t you know it, invisible broken weld right at the base of the shaft.

So now I’m torque converter shopping. Any suggestions or tips?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I think we all have been there in some way or form! Would of should of could of! Hindsight is a guaranteed 20/20 vision. I myself.I'm still developing my 3rd eye to see the future and avoid problems. The X Ray vision doesn't work like it use to! In for a Penny in for a Pound! I would say now you should have no worries or woes. You can hit the ground running and and not have a frown.Smiles per mile! Thanks for sharing you hard leaned experience and knowledge.

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Third eye thought! Why did it break? nornal wear and tear or something else.Did it loose a weight.check you crank bearings for play.

theshado

Reaction score
Great question.
I noticed a vibration at interstate speeds before it broke that day. Could be bearings, or a fifty year old converter that just gave up.

I’m hoping to get some advice on where to source a replacement converter. My usual parts places like Summit, etc only seem to carry performance replacements. I’m looking for a good quality stock replacement.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I'm not That smart on converters.Hope you find someone that knows.I know enough to be dangerous but wouldn’t call myself an expert by any means! 😜

scar426

Reaction score
Great question.
I noticed a vibration at interstate speeds before it broke that day. Could be bearings, or a fifty year old converter that just gave up.

I’m hoping to get some advice on where to source a replacement converter. My usual parts places like Summit, etc only seem to carry performance replacements. I’m looking for a good quality stock replacement.
Normally I would say to go to your local transmission shop, they can get stock converters pretty easily/cheap, but...... since that didn't seem to work on the rebuild, maybe just bite the bullet and pay for a good/high quality one from a torque converter company. doesn't need to be a performance one, just give them a call, tell them what ya got and if they don't sell direct, I'm sure they can give you a part number to buy from Summitt/Jegs/etc... ood luck.

theshado

Reaction score
Sent the converter off to PCT to have it rebuilt.

Think I should leave it stock, or have them bump up the stall?

theshado

Reaction score
Got the converter back and installed last Thursday. Put it through its paces and its all good now. In fact, it’s running smoother than it has the whole time I’ve owned it! Took it to the Gilmore muscle car show in MI on Saturday without issue. Had a good time and it’s a real treat to drive now.

moparlee

Reaction score
Got the converter back and installed last Thursday. Put it through its paces and its all good now. In fact, it’s running smoother than it has the whole time I’ve owned it! Took it to the Gilmore muscle car show in MI on Saturday without issue. Had a good time and it’s a real treat to drive now.
Glad it's all good now. Happy torque converter makes for happy driving. That was a great car show on Saturday.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Don't put off for tomorrow, what you can do today. This shows you did the right thing and got it done. Great job and effort. Now you have the rest of the summer and fall to put smiles whith miles on!Congrats!

Back