• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Frame connectors

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm some what new here. Most of the time I just read the active threads, but now I need your help. I'm in the beginning stages of a complete restoration of a 1971 Challenger, not numbers matching. I have the floors all out of it and thought it would be the right time to install frame connectors. I am making this car to be a very nice weekend driver. Did some home work on the subject of frame connectors and decided that ease of installment, that I would go with the bolt in style. I ordered this style from Mancini Racing. The instruction were just a little vague and for me, when an item is stated to be bolt in, that means that it would bolt in, right:nono:. These connectors are made to run from the torsion bar cross member to the forward end of the rear frame rail. They do not line up at all. I should say that these connectors are for both cuda and Challengers and that they are made to be altered to fit per the instructions for one or the other car. Has anyone installed this type connector? Hope that somone will have some good info for me.

azmoparboy

burntorange70

Reaction score
In what way are they not lining up? If you are talking about the front X member, they do not need to be directly in line with the front frame rails.

Even the bolt in ones should be welded for better strength.

Bill

Reaction score
I am very novice but I am in the process of making my own out of some 1x3 tubing and 3/16" metal. I will be welding them in once the car is back on it's wheels off of the rotisserie. 012.jpg

012.jpg

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Sorry about not having any pictures of what is going on. I will post pic's of the connectors near the end of this week so that you may see what I mean. To explain my talents for this hobbie, I am an aircraft mechanic. Anything that is done to an aircraft has very explicit instructions. Nothing is vague, drawings, notes, everything is on a set of instructions is there and very clear. So learning to wing it is something that I am not used to doing. Now if the instructions had said to alter to any level, taking the square peg and instlling it in a round hole with very large hammer, that I understand, just a little humor:eusa_wall: I will get back with you guys with pic's.

Bill

Reaction score
I think the frame rail connectors might be the most solid thing on my 73 Challenger! LOL! The car spent it's life in New Hampshire the land of salt. I had to patch in a lot of new metal on the frame rails while I have it flipped upsidedown on the rotisserie.

I always say "pound to fit, paint to match". I am glad to hear that a aircraft mechanic does not think that way:icon_thumright:.

Last edited:

burntorange70

Reaction score
Is it butted up against the trans X member in them pics? If it is it looks like you could notch that bracket back some to get the connector to go up in more. Then cut the other end to length.

azmoparboy

Reaction score
Sorry guys, learning to use the web site Scan0001.jpgNow you see everything I see, I just think it should look better.

Scan0001.jpg

Last edited:

C O D Y

Reaction score
You can make them yourself too. That's what I did. Make sure to double check the location of the e brake cable as the subframes can get in the way.... might be a 70 only thing?

Painted-Subframes.jpg

DSC02982.jpg

DSC02988.jpg

DSC02993.jpg

DSC03001.jpg

DSC03006.jpg

DSC03016.jpg

DSC03017.jpg

azmoparboy

Reaction score
001.jpg002.jpgView attachment 10208View attachment 10209Very nice looking CODY. If my Challenger was on a rotiserie I would have done the same as you, but I bought my car already stripped and I don't weld very well up side down. As for what I've elected to do with my car, I think will be very nice and do the job. These connectors that I have were straight, so I altered them in two directions. Here are two pic's that show just how much that they didn't line up in the rear. I have the left one installed now and I'm pleased with the out come. I just wanted anyone that was looking into installing frame connectors to know that these needed an large hammer to install them, thats humor guys. Have a great day you all, later on.

AZMOPARBOY
Steve

001.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:

Bill

Reaction score
You can make them yourself too. That's what I did. Make sure to double check the location of the e brake cable as the subframes can get in the way.... might be a 70 only thing?

Very, very nice!

Back