• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Freeze Plug Blow Out

JedIEG

Reaction score
More fun for me; One of the front freeze plugs on my 360 blew out while I was out driving today. I was close to home before I noticed the engine temp soaring from the lack of coolant, so It probably happened after running for forty five minutes. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Reason? This engine has very few miles on it since being rebuilt and the freeze plugs are one of the only things I didn't do myself so I am a bit taken back by it failing.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have had them fail when they are old , they need to be driven in far enough to get the lip to catch in the bore of the block . Bad plug , mishapen when installing who knows now , can you get to it ?

JedIEG

Reaction score
Well they were brand new plugs as of last winter when the block cam back from the shop from being bored out. We had the block looked over, cleaned, bored out .010, and plugs put in at the shop. I really hope that these are good brand name plugs for the amount of money we paid. My father is going to talk to the guy at the shop about it. It is the front plug to the lower left of the water pump so it should not be hard to get to.

Back