• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

fuel filler neck

wilbur

Reaction score
Ok so maybe I am dumb... but when replacing my filler neck does it go thru the outside of the quarter panel then thru the trunk to the tank or does it go to the inside of the quarter panel thru the trunk floor to the tank ? 73 challenger

Last edited:

Grady Cain

Reaction score
20150328_110517.jpg
Goes to inside of quarter panel... Yes, I know the holes aren't lined up in the photo :)

wilbur

Reaction score
THANK YOU. I have no holes as I have a replacement qtr. plus I did not take the car apart. so I was just a little confused . better to ask than blindly go and just start drilling.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
THANK YOU. I have no holes as I have a replacement qtr. plus I did not take the car apart. so I was just a little confused . better to ask than blindly go and just start drilling.
You're welcome! I have tons of detailed photos of my restoration. Feel free to PM me if you need any pics of specific areas...

Rdwsp

Reaction score
You're welcome! I have tons of detailed photos of my restoration. Feel free to PM me if you need any pics of specific areas...
I sandblasted all my filler tubes that go in the trunk and underneath the car what is the correct color paint to spray them so they look nice again

moparlee

Reaction score
If you have pictures please send thank you so much for your time

There is no paint on the fill tube or the vent tube. You probably shouldn't have sandblasted it as the plating is either a zinc or maybe even an aluminum. I cleaned mine up and then used a fine steel wool to give it a nice buffing.
014.JPG

wilbur

Reaction score
when replacing the fuel tank can I just cap off the 4 nipples or do I need to have one vent out somewhere ?

Steve340

Reaction score
You can not cap them it is best to connect them as shown in the service manual.
You need the piece shown in Moparlee's pic or something particular to 1973. Not sure about that.
1 of those tubes eventually goes to the intake manifold.

wilbur

Reaction score
Thanks. My next thought was to change the tank and filler neck to an earlier model and just vent the tube out the trunk floor. the intake has been changed and there is no canister either.

Steve340

Reaction score
I should clarify.
You could cap them and vent one to the chassis but I believe you will occasionally or persistently get a raw fuel smell.
I have a 71 and the standard system does work well, never get a fuel smell even in very hot weather. However it needs to be hooked up correctly.
Have a look back through this part of the forum because this question has come up before.

Back