• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel Filler tube and cap

Chally1971

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope someone out there can help me out. I have an early built 71 Challenger, dated 11/1970. The car did not come with a filler tube when I bought it. From the info I gathered, my takes the filler tube w/o the single 5/16 or 3/8 breather tube on the top portion. It also has the 4 side vapor tubes with the assembly sticking through the right side of the trunk. I'm going to put the fuel flip top on it. So I need help with the correct fuel cap for my Challenger. Some say that the rubber piece under the flip top seals with the top filler neck ?? Some say that there is a 3/8" twist tab cap and a smaller tab cap ??

Here are my questions.

1. Is the straight filler tube correct ?
2. Does it take or not a fuel cap under the flip top ?
3. If it does take a fuel cap, which one ?? Vented or Non-vented ?? Don't want to end up starving for fuel with a vacuum lock.
4. Where to buy the fuel cap ?

Thank you so much for any info on this built.

tube.jpg

Flip top.jpg

Vapor lines.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
My ‘71 has a gas cap under the Flip top and I believe all ‘71s had the vapor seperator in the trunk iirc..
also I think my filler tube has the nipple towards the top but I can’t immediately verify that because it’s not out of storage yet.

Chally1971

Reaction score
My ‘71 has a gas cap under the Flip top and I believe all ‘71s had the vapor seperator in the trunk iirc..
also I think my filler tube has the nipple towards the top but I can’t immediately verify that because it’s not out of storage yet.
Thanks for the info

Chally1971

Reaction score
Build date 11 70.The rubber piece under the flip top is for anti rattle.

View attachment 93563

View attachment 93564

View attachment 93565

View attachment 93566
Great photos, it give me an idea how it looks with the parts installed. My car was in pieces when I bought it. Slowly getting the missing parts. Do you have pictures of the fuel cap ? Vented or Not-Vented ? Auto parts stores don't show a part # I recently went to the Mopar Spring Fling where I got the second cap and it didn't work, they claim to work for the flip top style. Unfortunately, I didn't take the filler tube with me :( to test the cap. Nobody had one in stock at the Mopar swap meet. Thank you for your time !!

Steve340

Reaction score
Mine has a twist on vented/pressure cap. The flip top is just a cosmetic part.
You need the vented cap for the evap tube to work correctly.
I think I bought a spare repop cap on Ebay.

Back