• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

FUEL FUMES.

Big AL

Reaction score
I hope I'm in the right forum !... well here goes every time I take my Challenger out for a cruise
and when I come home to put her away I smell like a refinery smelling like fuel ! my question is
is there anything I can do inside the cockpit so fumes don't come in the Interior ?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well tuning has a lot to do with it , so adjusting richness can help .
The other issue is sealing , if the lower 1/4s , taillights & trunk are not sealed well the vacuum behind the car can pull fumes back into the car so check those areas .

moparleo

Reaction score
When the car is idling, do you get the fumes inside the car ,windows closed ? Standing outside, where does it seem to come from ? the exhaust, under the hood, under the car ?? More details will help.
New problem ?

Big AL

Reaction score
When the car is idling, do you get the fumes inside the car ,windows closed ? Standing outside, where does it seem to come from ? the exhaust, under the hood, under the car ?? More details will help.
New problem ?
I think it could be coming from the Exhaust specially backing into my Garage.

fasjac

Reaction score
Probably running a bit rich, kinda what it sounds like. And if warmed up motor with a carb, it will smell like a hotrod. You can check it with a/f gauge if you have one. If it’s raw fuel and your topping off the tank, could be a slight leak at the top of the sender unit.... happened to mine before.
Here a pic of #1 plug on my bb six pack and if I backed into my shop, I’d need to let it air out a few minutes. And I may a bit lean. I don’t have a gauge but, she’s running well. How do your plugs look?

Attachments

• 44FB49E1-1E35-457A-9206-414FB50DE752.jpeg
    44FB49E1-1E35-457A-9206-414FB50DE752.jpeg
    642.1 KB · Views: 149
  • C6E2FEF3-3250-4558-AF84-D8A436902381.jpeg
    C6E2FEF3-3250-4558-AF84-D8A436902381.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 142

Big AL

Reaction score
Probably running a bit rich, kinda what it sounds like. And if warmed up motor with a carb, it will smell like a hotrod. You can check it with a/f gauge if you have one. If it’s raw fuel and your topping off the tank, could be a slight leak at the top of the sender unit.... happened to mine before.
Here a pic of #1 plug on my bb six pack and if I backed into my shop, I’d need to let it air out a few minutes. And I may a bit lean. I don’t have a gauge but, she’s running well. How do your plugs look?
I'm going to check tomorrow.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
You should also check your fuel line hoses. Rubber hoses degrade and become permeable to vapors/odors. Just because you have no visible leaks or drips does not mean your hoses are not junk. Gasoline additives and ethanol doom your rubber hoses prematurely. Check this out (sorry it is a Chebbie article but still applicable): Building Safer Fuel Lines For Your Muscle Car Or Hot Rod

If you determine that your hoses are in need of replacement due to age, consider VaporGuard hoses.

Running rich, carb issue, and/or bad hoses all contribute to the garage and you smelling like a refinery!
Let us know what you find.

Last edited:

Burk11

Reaction score
I was getting a raw fuel smell in my 1970 Challenger after driving that turned out to be the gas filler tube-to-tank gasket. Found it was cracked/ deteriorated to the point gas was seeping past the seal. Driving probably contributed by sloshing gas around the tank.

Big AL

Reaction score
Sorry for just getting back to you fellas but doing a little research and some test's and doing some Investigating work I figured out the problem with the Fumes it was backing of my R/T in the car garage made for a mid size car and the tools for maintaining her so to house her I would need one and a half to two passes to park her in a tight space as you can see in the Pic below without hitting something and scratching her and the fume's from that 440 with a nice mild cam kind of filled the air and your clothes' with that Mopar smell ! So that was the problem. That other problem was that I came to the conclusion when I realize that I am running an Electronic fuel Injection system that controls timing and fuel mixture and everything that a modern car has to do to keep the car running at peak performance so here it is where the Investigative work begins when I went to check for how Rich she was running as fasjac said so I went to take her out of the garage to hook her up to my Programmer I got a shitty surprise my programmer was gone from the Cable which I keep in front of the center console so I looked over the car and nothing this is the time you rack your Brains and try to figure out where the hell you would leave it and you come back with the same answer I always left it in front of the Console so that leave's who last worked on her there were four entities which shall remain anonymous for which I felt like **** reason ! Long story short took her out of the garage to do a more thorough search for said programmer and lo and behold found it up against the side of the glove box which I had search before in the garage which lighting is only decent that saved me $465.22 including shipping which is having a great day in my book considering that I have been having some health issues with a painful lower left side of my stomach with sometimes shooting pains went to see my Doctor made a plan that if said pain didn't go away within a week I would get a Cat Scan to see what's wrong started taking some Home remedies my Wife made me, This went on for about a week with the continues numbing pain intertwined with sharp stabbing pains and with a lot of Prayer from my Wife and family and I **** you not last night I had a dream that my pain had gone away and without thinking woke up in the morning and I remember dreaming that the pain I had had gone away on it's own and I felt my side and I swear to God the pain was gone I poked my side and it felt fine wanted to wake my Wife up but decided not to because she was not sleeping well watching over me so I let her sleep late but when she woke I told her the happy news then told the rest of the family and like I said it's been a Great day for me Thanks to the Big Guy upstairs.
014.jpg

Last edited:
Back